Coconut based recipes are popular in South Karnataka and Kerala and people from that region may like Coconut based Vegetable Pulao that I am presenting here along with Raita.
- Rice – 2 cup
- Beans – 15 pieces
- Carrot – 2
- Potato – 2 medium sized
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower – 10 florets (optional)
- Onions – 2 medium sized chopped
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 2 pinch
- Curry Leaves – 5-8
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
Masala Paste Ingredients:
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1/2 medium sized chopped
- Green Chillies – 4-5
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Dhaniya or Coriander Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon or Dalchini – 1 small piece
- Cloves or Lavanga – 2
- Cardamom or Yellakki – 2
How to Prepare:
1) Take all Masala Paste Ingredients listed above in a mixer jar. Pour a little water into it and grind well in the mixer grinder to obtain smooth paste. Keep the masala paste aside.
2) Wash vegetables well. Cut the vegetables and keep aside. If you purchase dry peas, keep them soaked for at least 12 hours before use.
3) Wash Rice well with water and pour out the water completely since rice should stay as dry as possible.
4) Take the pressure cooker container (the outer container itself). Heat Oil and Ghee until the Ghee melts. Add Curry Leaves, chopped Onions and fry until the Onions turn golden brown.
5) Add washed Rice from step 3 above and fry Rice well for about 3 minutes.
6) Add masala paste from Step 1 to the cooker container and boil for 2 minutes. Then add cut vegetables and soaked Peas from step 2 above to the cooker container. Mix well.
7) Add 4 cups of water to the cooker. Add Salt, Lemon Juice, Turmeric powder. Close the cooker lid and allow the contents to cook. For best results, when you hear the first whistle of the cooker, switch to low flame and heat for about 7 minutes. Then switch off and allow the pressure of the cooker to ease.
Once you open the cooker lid, you can add grated coconut and Coriander leaves and mix it well with Pulav. Pulav is now ready to be served.
You can have Pulav with Raita.
- Curd – 1 cup
- Cucumber – 1
- Onion – 1 big sized
- Tomato – 1 big sized
Finely chop the Cucumber, Tomato and Onion. Add these finely chopped vegetables to Curd along with Salt and mix well.
Raita is now ready to be served with Vegetable Pulav.