I have a number of Pulao/Pulav recipes on my blog, actually about ten of them now in the Rice Recipes category but Nutri Pulao/Pulav is a little different since it not only involves vegetables plus Rice but also protein rich and delicious Soya balls. Hence the name Nutri Pulao/Pulav for Nutritious Pulao/Pulav. And the Cashew Butter Masala that goes with Nutri Pulao/Pulav is unlike any other side dishes like Raita that go with the normal Pulao/Pulav preparations. So, I am sure you have lots of fun trying out this Pulao/Pulav preparation.
- Basmati or Normal Rice – 1 cup
- Carrot – 1
- Capsicum – 1
- Green Beans – 15
- Soya Chunks – 10
- Ginger + Garlic + Green Chilli Paste – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon / Dalchini – 1 inch
- Cloves / Laung – 2
- Star Anise / Chakri Phool / Pineapple Moggu – 1
- Mint Leaves / Pudina – 4-5 leaves
- Cashew Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
Time to Make: 30-40 min
How to Make Nutri Pulao/Pulav:
1. Cut all the vegetables lengthwise – Carrot, Beans and Capsicum, and cook them until they are about 70% cooked. Rest of the cooking will happen later in the frying pan.
2. Soak the Soya Chunks in hot water with a pinch of Salt for 10-15 minutes so that Soya Chunks turn soft. Once soft, squeeze the water out from Soya Chunks. Keep aside.
3. Cook the Basmati Rice separately with 1 and 1/2 cup of water. If you are using normal Pulao Rice, cook the Rice with 2 Cups of water. Once the rice is cooked, keep aside to cool.
4. Soak 12-13 full size Cashew Nuts in water for 15 minutes. Grind in mixer grinder to come up with Cashew Paste. Use half of this Cashew Paste during Pulao preparation and the retain the rest for Butter Masala preparation below.
5. Heat Ghee + Oil in a pan. Once hot, add Cinnamon / Dalchini pieces, Cloves / Laung, Star Anise pieces and fry for 2 minutes.
6. Now add to the pan cooked vegetables like Carrot, Beans and Capsicum, Soya Chunks (from Step 2), Cashew Paste (from Step 4), Garam Masala Powder and Salt and cook these ingredients for 5 minutes and ensuring that all the masala ingredients blend well with vegetables.
7. At this stage, add cooked, cooled Rice from Step 3 to the above masala ingredients. Mix all the Pulao/Pulav ingredients properly and cook for 2-3 minutes.
8. Garnish with Coriander Leaves / Cilantro. Serve Nutri Pulao/Pulav with Butter Masala.
How to prepare Butter Masala :
- Butter – 3 tsp
- Ginger + Garlic Paste – 1/2 tsp
- Onion Paste – 1 Medium sized
- Tomato Paste – 1 Medium sized
- Cashew Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Coriander/Dhaniya Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Butter Masala Preparation:
1. Melt Butter in a pan, add Onion Paste and fry for a minute. Then add Ginger + Garlic Paste and fry until the smell disappears.
2. Add Tomato Paste, Cashew Paste and 1/4 cup of water and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
3. Then add Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder and Salt and again cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the flame. Butter Masala should always be in a liquid form.
Butter Masala goes well with Nutri Pulao/Pulav.