Rice is the main part of a meal in every house of India. It is made into variety of dishes, each flavouring uniquely. You can notice many types of rice dishes served in hotels each day. Pulao is one such rice item. Pulao is a lovely Indian dish which contains colourful vegetables, pleasant aromatic spices and decorated with almond cashews. In every family at least one person will be pulao loving. So the chef of the family should know to cook this yummy dish. In each state of India, people prepare different variety of Pulao. In my website; if you click on Rice Recipes or the Pulao links, you can see variety of delicious looking items there.
I have been making certain type of pulao once in a week and been bored with the same taste. Though I have made more than 10 types of Pulao, my cooking passion yearns for learning more from my friends. I was suggested Vegetable Pulao which after attempting at home gave a superb result. Lavina should be thanked for this wonderful recipe. Earlier I had trouble over the quantity of water to be added to cook rice for Pulaos, but with trial and error method, I learnt this. Well I can say that you too will like this Vegetable Pulao. Since I have another method already posted this is second version of Vegetable Pulao.
Looking at the list of ingredients you may hesitate to try this recipe, but please note that few ingredients are repeated here for grinding and frying. Tricky part is cutting the vegetables, especially Beans. You can cut them in any shape. But long and even pieces will look attractive. Here I have used Sona Masoori Rice, as it is South Indian style Pulao and Basmati Rice does not suit for this type. Soak the Rice for an hour before you start the process. Keep all the items ready and you will feel very convenient to cook. This step wise recipe will help the beginners also. Just follow the instruction given here and you can make a very delicious Vegetable Pulao. Serve this with Raita of your choice. Your valuable comments are my inspiration. So please leave some here.
Vegetable Pulao Ingredients:
- Sona Masoori Rice – 1Cup
- French Beans or Green Beans – 15
- Carrot – 1
- Peas – 1/4 Cup
- Potato – 1 Medium Sized
- Onions -2 Small Sized
- Tomato – 1 Medium Sized
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 8
- Salt – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Pudina or Mint Leaves- 1/4 Cup
- Coriander Leaves – 1/4 Cup
- Tomato – 1 Small Sized
- Onion – 1 Small Sized
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic pods – 2
- Green Chillies – 4
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Soaking Time for Rice: 1 hour
How to Make Vegetable Pulao:
1. Wash and soak Rice for 1 hour before you start the process. Cut the Beans slant ways as in the picture (looks long). Peel and cut the other vegetables like Carrot and Potato into lengthy cubes. Add Green Peas to these vegetables and keep ready.
2. Cut one medium sized Tomato into squares and Onion into lengthwise. Keep aside.
3. For Grinding: Rinse Pudina/Mint Leaves and Coriander Leaves in water and drain it. Chop the Onion and Tomato into medium size pieces. Peel and chop Ginger and Garlic. Add all these to a mixer jar along with Green Chillies, Cardamom, Cloves and Cinnamon. Grind this to a smooth paste.
4. In a pressure cooker add Oil and Ghee. Once it is hot, add whole spices like, Cinnamon, Cardamom and Cloves. Then add Curry Leaves, once it shrinks, add sliced Onion from step 2. Fry for 4 minutes and then add chopped Tomatoes. Fry till it becomes soft.
5. Now add the paste which you have grinded and fry until the water content evaporates. Now you should be able to see oil bubbles pop on top. At this stage add Vegetables like Carrot, Potato, Peas and Beans.
6. Mix everything well and fry for 3 minutes. Next add soaked rice from step 1 discarding the water. Fry for 2 minutes to make everything evenly distributed.
7. Now add Water 1:2 that is, for 1 Cup of rice add 2 Cups of Water and let it start to boil. Now finally add Salt and mix well. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and put the whistle.
8. Flame should be medium. Pressure cook for 3 whistles and reduce the flame to simmer. Again let it cook for 5 minutes. After that switch off the flame and remove it from stove. Allow the pressure to ease for few minutes and then open the lid. Taste it once, if still feel the Salt is not sufficient mix some more when the pulao is hot itself.
Now the Vegetable Pulao is ready to be served. Serve hot Pulao with Raita.