As you probably can make out from my blog, I love to prepare varieties of Sabzis or Curries which go with Chapatis well. I prepare Chapatis at home everyday and need a Sabzi or Curry to serve with them. I love to experiment with simple yet tasty Sabzis or Curries in my everyday cooking. The Purple Cabbage Sabzi is one such experiment. The recipe is from a friend of mine in Hubli. She used to prepare this Sabzi with normal green Cabbage. She was kind enough to cook for us a few Jowar Rotis along with this Cabbage Sabzi. This Sabzi goes well with not just Jawar Roti but also Chapatis and even with Curd Rice.
Preparation is quite easy – prepare simple seasoning and add chopped Onions, Tomatoes and soaked Dal. Once everything is cooked well, add Cabbage, Turmeric/Chilli Powder and Salt. Finally add Lemon Juice. One can also have the Cabbage cooked in a microwave by heating for 5-6 min to save cooking time. You may also cook directly in flame by having sufficient water with the vegetable. Try out the Purple Cabbage Subzi and let me know if you like it.
Purple Cabbage is also known as Red Cabbage. It has a high ratio of nutrients and vitamins to calories and fat. Using this Purple cabbage we can prepare Salad, Sabzi and Pulao. After cooking the Purple Cabbage, it normally changes its color to blue. The flavor of this Cabbage is as good as green cabbage, but they say it tends to be more peppery than green when it is consumed raw. After cooking the taste is as good as Green Cabbage. To know more about the difference between these two cabbage visit Red Cabbage Vs Green Cabbage. Also it was interesting to know that Purple Cabbage is just one of the six different varieties of Cabbages available.
Purple Cabbage Sabzi Ingredients:
- Chopped Purple Cabbage – 1 and 1/2 Cup
- Small sized Onion – 1
- Small sized Tomato – 1
- Toor Dal or Pigeon Peas – 2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves
Time to Prepare: 20-30 min
How to Make Purple Cabbage Sabzi :
- Soak the Toor Dal or Pigeon Peas in water for half an hour or until the Dal turns soft. To ensure it is ready, take the single dal and press it with your two fingers; the Dal should get halved.
- Chop the Onion and Tomatoes to small sized pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add Cumin Seeds and fry for a minute.
- Now add the chopped Onion and Turmeric Powder and fry until the Onion turns soft. Next add chopped Tomatoes and fry until it turns mushy and gets mixed with other ingredients.
- Now add the Soaked Toor Dal(Pigeon Peas) and cook for 5 minutes. Then add chopped Purple Cabbage, mix once, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and close the lid. Do not add extra water, as the Cabbage leaves have additional water content in them. Leave the mixture to cook for 8-10 minutes in medium flame. In between, mix with the ladle to ensure that the ingredients are prevented from getting burnt at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the Cabbage turns soft, add Sugar, Salt, Red Chilli Powder and mix once. Cook until the water content disappears. Then add Lemon Juice to the Sabzi and mix properly. Finally garnish with Coriander Leaves.
Now the Purple Cabbage Sabzi is ready.
- Needless to mention, this Purple Cabbage Sabzi can be prepared with normal Green Cabbage as well.
- To help prepare the Sabzi faster, one can cook the Cabbage in Microwave Oven for 5 minutes or pressure cook until you hear a single whistle before mixing with the other ingredients.