Baking has always been my love and passion and ever since I had my first amazing Choco Lava Cake in Domino’s I desperately wanted to give it a try at home. The element of surprise for me was the yummy molten chocolate lava gushing out of the cake on my first bite. I wanted to try the eggless version of delicious Molten Choco Lava Cake and stumbled upon the recipe of Eggless Molten Choco Lava cake by Masterchef Shipra Khanna and I tried it with few alterations. I don’t need to tell the end results !!!
The cake turned out to be awesomely soft and delicious. It was thoroughly enjoyed by my friends and there was ‘Once More’ request from everyone.
So everyone, get ready to indulge in fantasy of warm Chocolate Lava Cake !!
This post is by Manasi – my ‘cousin-in-law’ and close friend. You will find her to be full of energy and talent as she posts more and more recipes here. Wishing her good luck as she begins her online journey with this post. More about her to follow – Hema
- All Purpose Flour – 50 gms or ½ cup
- Sugar – 100 gms or (¼ cup + 2 table spoon)
- White(Powdered or Brown. I used Brown Sugar as it gives softness to the cake and carries less calories)
- Butter (Unsalted and white preferable) – 80 gms or ¼ cup
- Curd – 100 gms or (¼ cup + 2 table spoon)
- Any curd is fine but I used low fat curd
- Milk – ½ cup
- Cocoa – 4 table spoon
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Dark Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
- Around 4 to 5 cubes of Dark Chocolate or 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Chocolate Extract – ½ tsp (You can use Vanilla extract too)
- Salt – a pinch
- Strawberries for decoration
Time to Prepare: 30 minutes
Time to Bake: 18 to 20 minutes
How to prepare Eggless Molten Choco Lava Cake:
- In a mixing bowl sieve all-purpose flour(Maida), baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and thoroughly and keep aside
- In another bowl beat together brown sugar (or powdered white sugar) and butter until it is creamy and sugar is dissolved. I used an electric beater which gives even creamy consistency with less time. If you use a whisk it may take some more time than the electric beater, like at least more than 5min. The beating process is preferred to be in single direction.
- Add chocolate or Vanilla extract and curds to the creamy mixture prepared above and beat it again smoothly for another minute.
- Add the dry ingredients from step 1 and milk to the mixture little by little, while you keep folding it gently until all the lumps are dissolved.
- You will now get the perfect molten lava cake batter with dropping consistency.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- Meanwhile grease the Ramekins (small porcelain bowls/moulds) or the Muffin Pan with butter or oil on the sides and bottom. Sprinkle it with single tsp all-purpose flour (maida) uniformly.
- Pour the cake batter filling about ½ of the ramekin depending upon the size of ramekin. If the ramekin is large size fill it with ¾ of the cake batter. I used 2 Ramekins and the rest of the batter I poured in Muffin Pan filling it about ½ (the use of muffin pan is optional).
- Drop a cube of Dark Chocolate and push a little in the center of the Ramekin or in each cup of Muffin Pan while is half filled with Cake batter and cover it or top it using little batter again. Just the amount of batter to cover the dark chocolate cube should be used as shown in the picture.
- Gently tap the ramekins to allow the cake batter to settle well inside.
- Now place the Ramekins and Muffin Pan in the pre-heated oven and bake at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C for around 20 minutes. Mine was done in 20 minutes.
- The Molten Lava Cake is baked once you see the edges starting to leave the sides and outer cake becomes fluffy and soft and the center is gooey with molten dark chocolate.
- Now remove the Ramekins and Muffin Pan from the oven and allow it to cool down a little for about 3 to 5 minutes. After cooling it off insert a knife around the edges to remove sides completely and invert the cake delicately and carefully to a plate. The most awesome part is now when you cut the cake from center, the molten and hot dark chocolate lava gushes out making it more tempting to relish on.. 🙂
- Sprinkle or dust the powdered sugar on the cake and top it with a strawberry or a cherry.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Ice cream or you can just enjoy it with molten dark chocolate. I just enjoyed the way it is!!
My Tips and Notes
- From the above measurements I made 5 molten lava cakes. 2 from the Ramekins and 3 from the Muffin Pan. Using of Muffin Pan is optional. One can use just ramekins. I used the Muffin pan to try out for those chocolate cake lovers who do not have ramekins as sometimes Ramekins are difficult to get in the Market.
- I used Semi Sweet dark chocolate. One can use a complete Dark Chocolate having 100% cocoa. Any other Dark chocolate will do.
- For Muffin Pan :
- While trying out with Muffin Pan, do not use paper cups in Muffin Pan. Just pour the cake batter directly into Muffin Pan. I tried using Paper cups which resulted into cake turning into pieces and the paper cups don’t hold the molten lava. As the size of each cup in Muffin Pan is small as compared with Ramekin the dark chocolate cubes to be used should be of small size which results into less flowing of molten lava.
- Before baking, Fill each cup of Muffin Pan to its half of the cake batter and then insert the small cubes of dark chocolate.
- The dark chocolate cubes should be entered only in the center of Ramekin and not to the sides because if you invert the cake to the plate the sides should be strong enough to hold molten lava inside. If by mistake the cubes are not in center the sides will have the molten lava and the cake will not easily come out of the ramekin.
- Oven temperatures may vary so bake the cake for 18-20 minutes. Mine was done in 20 minutes. Do not under or over cook the cake as it may turn out uncooked or un gooey.
- If I have to compare between Ramekins and Muffin Pan, I would go for a Ramekin as it was my first choice plus the quantity and the quality of Molten Lava Cake turns out a bit better in Ramekin. Muffin Pan is a try if you don’t have or could not get Ramekins.
- Serve the Molten Lava Cake warm. Do not keep it unserved for a long time as the molten lava inside hardens and turns into hard dark chocolate again.
The Irresistible Molten Lava Cake is ready to gorge on. Be ready to travel to the Molten Chocolate Wonderland when you take the first bite!!! 🙂