Sabji is an Indian dry vegetable spicy dish with many names such as Palya, Poriyal etc. When you want to eat dishes without much spices included you can opt for this simple looking Beans Palya. Beans are an all season available vegetable and come in few varieties such as French Beans, Naati Beans, Ring Beans and Cluster Beans etc. Beans have fiber content in it. It helps in digestion, more for people with constipation problem.
It is a very easy recipe. I am sure with little time spent on chopping the Beans; you can quickly finish rest of the recipe. It is a dry Sabji, so you can have it with Chapati, Curd rice or Rasam rice as side dish. I usually eat with Chapati and Lemon Rasam. In these ways we can prepare simple Sabji in our daily menu to eat varieties of vegetables. If you do not like to use Green Chillies, Red Chillies can be substituted; but the taste varies. Always add the grated Coconut at the end before you switch of the flame. This helps to retain the colour and taste of the raw Coconut. It also will not release much Oil to the dish. It is said that eating raw Coconut is good than cooked one. But remember one thing. In hot weather if you add coconut to the sabji and store for more than 4 hours it may get spoiled. Either you refrigerate it or add coconut before serving. Consume same day.
Beans Palya or Sabji Ingredients:
- French Beans – 1/4 Kg
- Grated Coconut – 1 Tbsp
- Green Chillies – 2
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Powdered Jaggery – 1/4 tsp (Optional)
- Coriander Leaves
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal / White Lentils – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 7-8
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
How to Make Beans Palya or Sabji:
1. Chop the French Beans into small pieces as in the image. Pressure cook the Beans for 3 Whistles by adding Turmeric Powder and sufficient water. You can even cook directly while preparing Sabji, but this method is more time consuming.
2. Slit the Green Chillies and keep aside.
3. Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once they splutter, add Urad Dal and sauté a bit. Once it changes to golden in colour, add Curry Leaves and slit Green Chillies.
4. Now add cooked French Beans to the pan with remaining water in it. Add Salt and Jaggery to it and cook till the water evaporates. At last add the grated Coconut and Switch off the flame. Add Chopped Coriander if needed.
1. You can cook the Beans after giving seasoning by adding sufficient.\