As I said Saagu is a popular South Indian Dish whose name mostly pairs with poori and chapathi. Now a days some hotels serve saagu even with dosa which they call Saagu-Dosa. Saagu is multi-coloured and multi-spiced in mixed vegetable gravy. This is so tempting dish that my appetite is growing even while blogging. I know you too feel the same way. So I will give you fast and easy method to prepare this dish. Some things needs previous day preparation. So read this once and get all the items ready before you start making saagu. I agree that this recipe requires little more time. But end result is its taste being awesome. Well go ahead and enjoy this tasty Saagu.
Saagu Ingredients :
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Green Chillies – 3-4
- Cumin / Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander or Dhaniya seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Onion – 1 medium sized
- Cloves or Lavang – 2
- Dalchini or Cinnamon (Chakke) – 2-3 small pieces
- Cardamom – 1
- Poppy Seeds or Khus-Khus or Gasgase – 1 tsp or Rice – 1 tsp
- Dried Peas – 1/2 cup
- Carrot – 2
- Beans – 12-15
- Potato – 2
- Jaggery – 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind Paste – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – 3/4 cup
- Curry Leaves – 8-10
Time to Prepare: 20 mins
How To Make Saagu:
- Soak Khus-Khus (Gasgase) in water almost for 8 hrs. (If you do not have Khus-Khus at home, you may use a spoon of regular rice instead and soak it for 8 hours. Soaked Khus-Khus or Rice help to provide thickness to Saagu).
- Cut Beans, Carrot and Potatoes in any shape you prefer and cook it in pressure cooker or in Microwave for 7-8 min.
- Grind in a mixer grinder the following ingredients: Grated Coconut, Green Chillies, Cumin seeds, Coriander seeds (Dhania), Cloves, Cardamom, cut Onion, Coriander leaves, soaked Khus-Khus and Tamarind Paste. Grind all the ingredients in a mixer grinder to prepare a smooth paste.
- Pour this paste into a medium sized vessel; add cooked vegetables, Salt, Jaggery, Coriander leaves and Curry leaves to it. Add half glass of water and let the contents of the vessel boil for 5-7 min. Remove from the flame when done.
Now the delicious and vegetable rich Saagu is ready. One can have this with Poori or Chapati.