Mooli or Radish is rich in folic acid and potassium and is a good source for vitamins. One can prepare salad through grated Radish/Mooli. Just add 2-3 Tbsp of Curd and Salt to the grated Mooli and have it with Chapati or Roti or one can have it directly. This salad helps those who suffer from constipation. Many people love to have leaves of Mooli by preparing salads out of them.
Though healthy, many, specially children, do not like to have Radish/Mooli Sambar or other dishes prepared out of Mooli due to the bitter taste and raw smell of Mooli. Hence, its better to prepare Paratha out of Mooli. Once if you cook the grated Mooli/Radish, smell goes away. Most of the children love to eat Paratha and are attracted to Mooli Paratha. So go ahead and prepare Mooli Paratha for all its nutritional values. Serve with Curd or Chutney.
Mooli Paratha Dough Ingredients:
- Wheat flour – 2 cup
- Bengal Gram (Besan) flour – 2 tsp
- Rice flour – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
Mooli Paratha or Radish Paratha/Parota Ingredients:
- Radish or Mooli Grated – 400 gms (approx 2 medium sized Radish)
- Bengal Gram flour – 2 Tbsp
- Green Chilli paste – 1 Tbsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Carom seeds / Ajwain – 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves chopped – 1/2 cup
- Asefotida / Hing – single pinch
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
How to Prepare Mooli Paratha:
1. In a bowl, add Wheat flour, Bengal Gram flour, Rice flour, Salt and Oil. Mix all the ingredients properly and add water to this flour mixture and prepare dough just like the regular Chapati dough. Keep aside for about 30 minutes. Adding different flours helps Paratha turn soft and taste well.
2. How to prepare Radish/Mooli Sabzi:
a. Squeeze out the water from grated Radish completely by pressing between both palms.
b. Heat oil in a pan, add the Carom seeds/Ajwain.
c. Then add Asafoetida/Hing. Add Bengal Gram flour/Besan.
d. Fry for a minute. Keep stirring continuously while frying to help ensure that the flour does not stick to the pan. Now add grated/squeezed Radish/Mooli and fry for 2-3 minutes.
e. Then add Green Chilli paste, Red Chilli powder.
f. Then add Salt and Turmeric Powder to the Sabji mixture.
g. Finally add Coriander Leaves and mix them properly.
h. Cook for 10-12 minutes on a medium flame by stirring continuously. Keep aside and leave the Radish filling/Sabzi to cool.
3. Rolling out Mooli Paratha:
a. Knead the dough from Step 1 for few seconds. Divide and shape the Paratha dough into round shaped balls. Roll it out to the size of a small-sized puri. Place 2 Tbsp of stuffing (Radish sabzi) in the center.
b. Raise the sides and cover the filling. Flatten and roll out.
c. Roll into a medium thick paratha by dusting occasionally in the wheat flour. Then place on heated tawa.
d. Apply Ghee while cooking the Mooli Paratha on both the sides. And cook on both the sides.
Alternate method to roll out Paratha/Parota:
1. Sometimes Paratha dough or filling turns to be a bit watery or too soft, the filling may come out of the paratha dough and you may not be able to roll out the paratha dough properly. Then try this – Take 2 small round sized dough, roll those 2 balls into small puri sized dough. Spread the stuffing/Subzi on one rolled out dough and then place the other rolled out dough on top to cover the one below. Then roll it out into medium thick paratha.
2. Cook the rolled out Mooli Paratha on a hot griddle or Tawa and bake the Mooli Paratha on both the sides by applying enough Ghee till the Paratha turns crisp.
Serve Mooli Paratha hot with Coconut chutney or Curd by adding chat masala on it.