After Eggless Fruit Cookies or Tutti Frutti Cookies baked in convection mode Microwave came out really well, I thought of trying other types of Cookies. I was looking for a recipe for Eggless Cookies using Cocoa Powder (like Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies) on the net and found a good one on Show me the Curry website called the Double Chocolate Cookies (Eggless). The cookies were prepared as per the instructions posted there and they came out really well. My family liked them quite a bit and asked me if these were Raagi or Finger Millet Cookies because of how they looked. I prepared these cookies using Icing Sugar and I plan to go for normal Cane Sugar powder with Vanilla Extract/Essence next time(did not have Vanilla Essence at hand this time but the Cookies still tasted really good). I had two slight variations of these Cookies prepared – one with Chocolate Chips and the other without them. Both versions turned out good. Do try out these Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies if you have a Convection Mode oven or an OTG.
Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients:
- Unsalted Softened Butter – 10 tbsp
- Icing Sugar or Confectioners Sugar – 1/2 cup
- All-Purpose Flour or Maida – 1 cup
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 2 tbsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla Extract/Essence – 1 tsp
- Chocolate Chips – 1/4 – 1/2 cup
Time to Prepare: 1 to 1 and 1/2 hr
Preparation time : 10 mins
Baking time for one tray : 15-17 min
Resting time : 30 min
How to Make Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Sift all the dry ingredients – All-Purpose Flour or Maida, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder and Baking Powder 2 times, so that all the 3 ingredients mix well.
- Take a bowl, add Unsalted Softened Butter and Icing Sugar or Confectioners Sugar. Mix both the ingredients using whisk or with the help of hand until you get a smooth and creamy mixture.
- Now add the Vanilla Extract or Essence to the Butter-Sugar mixture above and mix once again.
- At this stage, add the sifted dry ingredients from Step 1 above to the above wet mixture in 3 increments, mixing well to form soft Chocolate Chip Cookies dough. If you wish to add the Chocolate Chips, just add them while preparing the dough or you are fine with plain Chocolate Cookies dough now. I just divided the dough into two kinds – one plain with only Cocoa Powder with no Chocolate Chips and for another I added Chocolate Chips. To keep things separate, I baked twice – once the dough with Chocolate Chips and the other without it.
- Once the Cookies dough is ready, just wrap the dough in a plastic wrap or keep it in a airtight box and allow it to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- As some of you know, my usual baking is in Microwave Convection mode oven and not in OTG. Set the Microwave temperature to 180 C and preheat the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line the baking tray and keep ready to bake the cookies. Remove the Eggless Chocolate Cookies dough from the refrigerator and pinch a small amount of dough and press with the help of palm to prepare lime sized balls and place them on a tray leaving enough space in between the cookie balls. Flattening the balls slighty on the top gives crispiness to the cookies. I tried both versions – one without flattening and the other flattened. One turned out soft while the flattened out were crispy. I decorated some cookies with chocolate chips on the top and then baked the balls in the Microwave.
- Keep the ready dough tray in a preheated oven. For baking in Convection oven, keep dough tray on the lower grill rack for baking.
- Set the temperature as per your oven settings. In my case, I tried setting the temperature to 160 C and baked one batch for 20 min; in the next batch I set the temperature for 180 C and baked for 15-17 min. For normal OTG set the temperature for 150 C/350 F and bake the cookies for 20 min or till done.
- Remove the baked Eggless Chocolate Cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack for at least 15 min. Once completly cooled, consume or store the Cookies in an air tight container.
Now the Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies is ready to serve. Enjoy your home baked Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- As mentioned above, I tried these Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies using Icing Sugar and not with normal Sugar Powder. When I prepare next time, I will use the normal Cane Sugar Powder and update on how the cookies turn out.
- One can preserve the cookie dough for a month in the freezer or you may refrigerate them for a week. Then defrost and bake the Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies.