Almond or Badam is high on protein and is heart friendly. Almonds are great source of Vitamin E, Iron, Fibre. Compared to other dry nuts, Almonds have greater calcium content. It is good to have 2-3 Almonds a day in winter season; prevents premature appearance of wrinkles, controls pimples and dry skin. Almond paste applied can make your skin glow. Almond oil helps prevent dandruff, premature greying of hair and helps reduce hair-fall.
One can prepare many popular Indian recipes from Almonds or Badam like Badam Halwa, Badam Burfi, Badam Chikki, Badam or Almond Milk Drink and many more. Almonds are great for garnishing sweet dishes.
Here I have prepared Almond Milk Drink by soaking and grinding the Almonds with Milk and other ingredients. Almond Milk Drink gives great taste when it is chilled.
- Badam or Almond – 25
- Sugar – 2 Tbsp
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Saffron or Kesar – few strands
- Milk – 2 cups
- Grated Badam + Pista + Cashew – 2 tsp (optional)
Time to Prepare : 20 min
How to Make Almond Milk Drink:
- Soak the Badam or Almond for 2 hr in water. Take out the soaked Badam/Almond and remove the skin. Grind soaked Badam with little Milk in a mixer grinder to prepare smooth paste.
- Soak the Kesar or Saffron strands in Milk (just enough to dip the Saffron – about 2-3 tsp Milk is sufficient) for 5-10 min.
- Take 2 cups of Milk separately in a vessel and heat to boil. Add Sugar to it and again boil until the Sugar dissolves well with the Milk.
- Add Almond paste from Step 1 to the boiling Milk and again heat it for 5 more min.
- Add soaked Kesar or Saffron strands from Step 2 to the boiling Milk. Additionally, add Cardamom Powder to the Milk and mix well. Allow to boil for 5 more min. Remove the Milk from flame.
- Garnish Badam or Almond Milk Drink with Grated Badam, Pista, Cashew nuts.
Now Badam or Almond Milk Drink is ready to served hot.
Cold Almond Milk Drink is quite popular. Allow the Badam/Almond Milk Drink to cool, store in the refrigerator and served Badam Milk or Almond Milk Drink chilled.