Two months of Summer Vacation, I and my daughter had a total blast in my mom’s place Hubli. Here I enjoyed mom’s cooking as well as obtained many tips from dad. Mangoes are abundant here and we get variety of mangoes. Once as I was savouring mom made akki rotti for breakfast, I asked her the recipe for Mango Tokku. She suggested me to talk to our neighbour Sushila Aunti about this item since she too is a very good cook in traditional dishes. So when I contacted her, she first asked me to taste what she had made. Hmm, the mango tokku she gave was awesome. My mouth is watering by just its remembrance. She told me the recipe verbally and asked me to do myself. Almost the summer is coming to an end and I love to make and store this Sweet Raw Mango Tokku or Chutney for few more months.
So I prepared this tokku recalling aunt’s words. Tokku came out very well but could not keep it for more days as it got over soon and now have to prepare again. Now days we get Raw Mangoes in most of the seasons, but we don’t get the bigger size ones always. Best season to buy mangoes is April, May and June. Too earlier ones will not be good for health is often advised by elders. So to enjoy this we need to prepare and refrigerate it. This Sweet Raw Mango Tokku or Chutney can be kept for months together in refrigerator. If you choose pickle mangoes, end result will be little sour. So select raw totapuri mangoes or the green long ones.
Recipe is simple, peel the outer covering of mangoes and chop them. Grind them with all the other ingredients by adding the seasoned Methi to it. Refrigerator it and use as needed. Preparation time is very less. So even in a hurry you can make it. We can eat this Chutney with Dosa, Chapati, Akki and Ragi Rotti too. If we haven’t made dal, sambar or curry for rice, just we can mix this tokku with rice and eat. It will be very delicious. Please give this a try and let me know the results.
Sweet Raw Mango Tokku or Chutney Ingredients:
- Raw Green Mangoes (long or totapuri) – 3 Medium Sized (Or Chopped 2 Cups)
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp (or as per your taste)
- Jaggery – 2 Tbsp
- Grated Dry Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Methi Seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
Time to Prepare: 10 minutes
How to Make Sweet Raw Mango Tokku or Chutney:
1. Peel the green part of the Mangoes and chop them into cubes as shown in the image.
2. Crush them in mixer grinder to coarse. Heat Oil in a pan, add Methi Seeds.
3. Then add Hing and fry them till Methi Seeds becomes golden in colour. Transfer this to mixer grinder.
4. Add all other ingredients like Salt, Jaggery, Red Chilli Powder and Grated Dry Coconut. Again grind everything together to smooth paste.
1. Do not add water while grinding the Mangoes, as it spoils the Chutney hence cannot be kept for more days.
2. Give seasoning by taking few spoons of prepared Chutney in a bowl and add Oil + Mustard seasoning before using it.
3. Store it in a glass bottle and always use dry spoon to remove the Chutney or Tokku.