Mango is called the king of fruits for its abundant taste. India’s main agricultural fruit production is Mango. As you know, mangoes are in variety. Each variety tastes different. Raw Mango has its specialty of sourness. We usually prepare this Raw Mango Chutney or Raw Mango Tokku in summer season as Mangoes are mainly available then and store it for more than 6 months in refrigerator. Throughout Karnataka and Andhra, the tokku is made differently in each town. This recipe what I have posted here is purely a South Canara recipe; we call it as “Mavina Hindi”. Whenever we are bored with eating the same variety of chutneys or tired of cooking, we can have this with plain rice. Here in this recipe not many items are added thus making it the easiest dish to prepare. Well I call it a child’s play. My aunt used to prepare sweet gojju from this Raw Mango Chutney or Raw Mango Tokku of which I shall post shortly. This goes well with plain rice. Manvina Hindi or Tokku can be served with curd rice too. So try and enjoy this simple Raw Mango Chutney or Raw Mango Tokku and enjoy your summer.
Raw Mango Chutney or Raw Mango Tokku Ingredients:
- Round Dark Green Raw Mango – 2
- Rock Salt
- Red Chilli Powder – 3 tsp
- Hing or Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
Soaking Mango slices in Salt – 3 days
Preparation Time: 5 to 7 minutes
How to Make Raw Mango Chutney or Raw Mango Tokku:
- Peel the outer green covering of the Raw Mangoes and slice it as thin as possible as shown in the image.
- In a clean wide mouthed glass bottle, place a few Raw Mango pieces (around 10 to 15). Now put some Rock Salt on the Mango pieces. Again add few more Raw Mango pieces and then over it Salt. So repeat the process layer by layer till you complete with all the Mango pieces.
- Close the lid tightly and keep it at room temperature for 3 days.
- After 3 days the sliced Mangoes will shrink and it leaves Salt water. Filter the Salt Water and discard it. At this stage sliced Mango becomes soft. Take only the Mango pieces out after completely draining the water.
- In a mixer jar, add these Mango pieces, Hing and Red Chilli Powder. Grind all these ingredients to a fine paste.
- Transfer the ground paste to a dry glass bottle or any airtight container and refrigerator it. You can use it for more than 6 months.
- While taking the Raw Mango Chutney or Raw Mango Tokku or Mavina Hindi, always use a clean dry spoon for the remaining to stay for long.