Kashaya/Kashayam is a herbal drink and the one variety of it that I am explaining below is originally from Northern Karnataka. It is now popular in Karnataka and many have it regularly for its health benefits. Kashayam can help relieve gastric problem since it contains Coriander Seeds and Cumin Seeds. Also, Fennel Seeds help aid digestion. Normally we see Kashayam being prepared with Coriander Seeds and Cumin Seeds alone, but here I have used other ingredients to help boost its taste and to augment its health benefits.
While preparing Kashaya, taste suffers if you boil the powder with water and add Milk and Sugar to it. I usually prepare Kashayam by boiling the Milk and then mixing the Kashaya Powder and Sugar to it. Even without Sugar, Kashaya can taste good and someone suffering from diabetes can have it. You can have this herbal drink morning instead of coffee or tea and in the evening too; twice a day is ok.
Kashaya/Kashayam Powder Ingredients:
- Coriander Seeds or Dhaniya – 1 Cup
- Cumin Seeds or Jeera – 1/2 Cup
- Fennel Seeds or Saunf – 2 Tbsp
- Pepper Corn – 1/4 tsp (Optional)
- Cardamom or Elachi – 1
- Cloves or Lavang – 2
Time to Prepare: 10-15 min
How to Make Kashaya/Kashayam Powder :
- Heat the frying pan, add the Coriander Seeds and fry (without Oil) for 2-3 minutes or until the Coriander Seeds turn light golden in color. Remove from the flame and transfer the contents to a bowl.
- Next in the same pan, add Cumin Seeds or Jeera, fry for 2 min and transfer them to the same bowl that contains fried Coriander Seeds. Follow the same steps to the other above listed ingredients like Fennel Seeds, Pepper Corns, Cardamom and Cloves. Fry everything separately but mix all the ingredients into a single bowl. Allow the mixed ingredients to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooled Kashaya ingredients to a mixer grinder and grind them to a smooth powder. Now the Kashaya or Herbal Drink powder is ready. Store the Kashaya Powder in an air-tight box to keep it fresh retaining its aroma.
- Milk – 1 Cup
- Kashaya Powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 to 1 and 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Time to Prepare: 5 min
How to Make Kashaya – Herbal Drink :
- Boil a cup of Milk (should be piping hot). Switch off the flame.
- Mix the Kashaya Powder and Sugar to the boiled Milk and stir well until the Sugar dissolves and the Kashaya Powder is mixed well with Milk. Filter the Kashaya with the help of filter and serve hot. One can have Kashaya/Kashayam without filtering out the herbal ingredients also.
Now the Kashaya/Kashayam is ready to serve.