It has been my dream to bake perfect tasting Cookies. Sharmilee made my day by helping me prepare these Eggless Candied Fruit Cookies, also called Tutti Frutti Cookies. This one was quite easy to make with very few ingredients, and these Cookies are so good that they simply melt in your mouth in no time. The Candied Fruits in the Cookies provides a distinct and chewy effect 🙂 In fact, these Eggless Candied Fruit Cookies, once cooled after baking, turned out to be chewy as well as crunchy. Liked them a lot at home and my relatives who tasted them liked it quite a bit too.
As said earlier, the recipe was sourced from Sharmis Passion blog. I made one little change – just added Baking Powder. I wanted these Cookies to come out soft and did not want to take a chance by omitting Baking Powder. Just added 1/4 tsp of powder and the Cookies really turned out to be crispy, delicious yet light on stomach. All my baking was done in Convection Mode of Samsung Microwave Oven. Placed the lower rack grill in the Microwave, on top of the grill I placed my non-stick tray with Cookies without greasing. Baking was accomplished in about 15 minutes with Microwave preheated and temperature set to 180°C.
- All Purpose Flour or Maida – 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter at room temperature – 6 tbsp
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Baking Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Candied Fruits or Tutti Frutti – 1/3 cup
- Milk – 1 to 2 tbsp (optional – only if needed)
Total Duration : 1:45 min
Time to Prepare: 30 – 45 min
How to Make Eggless Candied Fruit Cookies:
- In a mixing bowl, add Butter and Powdered Sugar and mix well with the help of hand or with a whisk until the mixture looks smooth and fluffy. I used my whisk to cream the Butter-Sugar mixture.
- Sieve the All Purpose Flour (Maida) and Baking powder together once to mix well the two ingredients.
- Add the sieved ingredients from Step 2 and Candied Fruits to Butter-Sugar mixture from Step 1, mix well with the hand and prepare soft sticky dough. If needed add Milk to obtain the right consistency. I did not add the Milk as I was able to get proper soft-sticky dough without Milk.
- Divide the dough into two portions and shape the dough into 2 logs of about 1-1/2 inch diameter thickness. Wrap the rolled 2 logs in butter paper in 2 separate butter sheets. If the dough is too sticky sprinkle flour on a paper before wrapping.
- Keep the wrapped logs in Freezer for 40 min to 1 hr. I did freeze the dough logs for an hour. Take the logs out from the freezer after an hour and slice the logs into Cookie dough pieces of about 1/4 inch thickness with the help of sharp and smooth knife. To obtain the right shape, do not use knives with wavy impression or those of zig-zag shape to cut the logs into round shape cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees or 160°C for 10 min. Arrange the cut Candied Fruit Cookies on a lined butter paper leaving the space between each cookie. Bake it at 160°C for 10-12 min or until the edges turn golden in color.
- I baked the Candied Fruit Cookies in convection mode of my Microwave Oven. To bake Cookies, I used the lower rack grill and on the grill I placed the Candied Fruit Cookies tray and baked for 15 min at 180°C. Actually with first batch, I tried baking Cookies with 160°C as suggested by Sharmiliee – this took me almost 18-20 min to bake the Cookies in my oven. To reduce baking time, I tried the second batch of baking by setting 180°C and was able to get all baked in about 15 min.
- Cookies will remain soft after baking. So, carefully transfer the baked Eggless Candied Fruit Cookies Or Tutti Frutti Cookies to a rack and leave it to cool for 15 min. Once cooled, the Cookies turn crisper.
Eggless Candied Fruit Cookies is now ready to serve and savor.