Dosa is many’s favourite. So is Sweet dishes. What if a combination of those two is made? A special sweet made in
Karnataka’s homes during the Navarathri Dasara for Saraswathi Pooja is Sweet Dosa or Bellada dose. Soak the dosa rice well in advance to make the batter. This recipe needs patience during preparation. So keep your mind calm and follow the steps. Need not to say the result is always much sweeter. Prepare the batter well and make sweet dosa on a good greased tawa. Best savoured with Ghee when this Sweet Dosa is hot.
Also see Sweet Paddu/Paniyaram recipe to know how the same batter used here for Sweet Dosa can be used for preparing Paddu/Paniyaram as well.
Sweet Dosa Ingredients:
- Dosa Rice – 2 cups
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup (go for less or more depending on your taste)
- Thick Flattened Rice flakes or Poha (Avalakki) – 1 cup
- Curd – 1/2 cup
Soaking Time : 5-6 hrs
Fermentation Time: 10-12 hrs
Time to Prepare: 15 mins
How to Make Sweet Dosa:
- Wash Dosa Rice and Fenugreek seeds in water and soak them in water for 5-6 hr.
- Wash Poha and soak it in curd for 20 min.
- Grind soaked Rice and Fenugreek seeds in wet grinder or in a mixer grinder. Once the Dosa batter turns a little smooth, add soaked Poha and grind for 10 more min.
- Pour out the batter from the grinder. Grind ¾ cup of Jaggery with 1/4 cup of water in a wet grinder (preferably) for 10 min until you obtain smooth Jaggery paste. Add this paste to the batter poured out earlier.
- Keep this for 10-12 hrs to help ferment the Dosa batter.
- Next day morning, prepare Sweet Dosa in Non-stick tawa (or in normal tawa) by greasing oil on tawa. Use low flame for best results.
- Dosa prepared may stick to tawa. So have patience while taking out this Sweet Dosa from the tawa.
Serve the Sweet Dosa with Ghee.