Many types of flat breads have originated from northern part of India. Naan is one such flat bread baked either in tandoori oven or on a plain non-stick tawa. If butter is added it becomes Butter Naan. Taste of naan is very mildly sweet and salty. You need a subji or gravy to eat it with. Naan should be consumed when it is hot else it becomes rubbery.
Preparation takes some time. You need to mix well the maida, salt, sugar and baking soda in soda water. The more time the dough rests, the less elastic the naan will be. So prepare the dough 6 hours before you want to make Naan. Serve hot with your favourite Sabji or gravy.
- Maida / All Purpose Flour – 3 cups
- Butter – 4 tsp
- Baking or Cooking Soda – 2 pinch
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Soda Water – 1 glass (approx)
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
Resting Time : 5-6 hrs
Time to Prepare: 15 mins
How To Make Naan:
- Take a vessel, hand mix Butter, baking Soda, Salt and Sugar until it becomes a smooth paste. Add Maida to this mixture and mix well. Then add sufficient Soda Water to this mixture and prepare smooth Maida dough.
- Make sure that you keep this dough aside for 5-6 hours to settle. This will ensure that the Naan, after baking, stays soft and non-elastic.
- Make small balls from the maida dough and roll it out with rolling stick into a triangle shape or whichever shape you prefer. Bake it in on a non-stick pan or in oven for 2-3 min. You can pour butter on the Naan when baking which makes it a butter Naan. Preparing this way tastes really good like the one you order in your favorite restaurant.
Serve this with your favorite sabji or curry.