Pizza has its origins in Italy and now well known and loved all across the world, including India in recent years. Pizzas make a rich, tasty and mouth-watering meal or evening snack. The Vegetarian Pizza recipe I have provided here helps you to prepare Pizza any time at home without ordering one from Pizza Hut or Domino’s, provided you have the Pizza base ready with you (purchased or if you know how to prepare one with dough, it’s really great). If you are interested in putting some effort into preparing Pizza base on your own at home, see How to Make Perfect Pizza Dough or you can check my good friend Sonia’s Pizza dough instructions in Veggie Delight Pizza recipe in her blog Seven Spice.
Advantage of preparing Pizza at home is that you can choose toppings of your own choice, the cheese spread of your choice, vegetable masala spread which is just as spicy and yummy as you need. You do not need to pay a big price for those tiny toppings choice offered by Pizza giants. If you purchase Pizza base from the retail store, preparing Vegetarian Pizza is quick and easy as you can see below. It requires just about 20 minutes of your time, perhaps much less than the time it takes to drive to a Pizza Hut or Domino’s, order and then wait for order to be fulfilled.
For the Vegetarian Pizza described here, I have used Onions and Capsicum “toppings” only. Of course, nothing stops you from adding other soft vegetables like Tomatoes, Sweet Corn, Baby Corn, Olives and fruits like Pineapple pieces, milk products like Paneer or Tofu pieces. But I must admit that I really love to have Vegetarian Pizza from Pizza Hut and Papa Johns. For my pleasure, Pizza Hut has come out with numerous varieties of Vegetarian Pizzas here in India with tongue-catching names like Country Feast, Paneer EL Rancho, Exotica, Kadai Paneer, Spicy Veggie, Veggie Crunch etc. along with the popular Veggie Lovers Pizza. If you are one among those who frequent Pizza Hut or other Pizza outlets, do drop a comment letting me know your favorite choice for Vegetarian Pizza in their menu. Myself and perhaps other readers would love to try it.
- Pizza Base – 1
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Onions – 1
- Capsicum – 1 small sized
- Ginger + Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Oregano or Ajwain/Carom Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Dry Basil – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
- Tandoori Color – pinch (Optional)
- Tomato Puree – 3/4 cup
- Tomato Sauce – 1/4 cup
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese – 1/2 cup
Time to prepare: 20 min
How to make Vegetarian Pizza:
1. Chop the Onion and Capsicum into small pieces. Keep aside.
2. Take a readymade Pizza Base and smear with butter (spread butter) all over the base as shown below. Keep aside.
3. Heat Oil (1/2 Tbsp) + Butter (1 Tbsp) in a pan, add chopped Onions and fry for 2-3 minutes or until the Onions start to look transparent. Now add Ginger Garlic Paste (available in the store) and fry for a minute.
4. Now add Capsicum to the frying pan and cook the same for 5 minutes making sure that the Capsicum does not turn too soft (do not overcook Capsicum). Now add Tomato Puree and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the liquid content is mixed well with Capsicum and Onions.
5. Then add Oregano, Tandoori Color (optional) and Dry Basil (optional) and ensure that these mix well with the other ingredients in the pan.
6. Now add Salt, Pepper Powder, Red Chilli Powder and saute for 2 min. Finally add Tomato Sauce and cook for 5 minutes and mix everything well with other ingredients. Now the top layer for the Pizza, i.e., the vegetable spread is ready. As you can see in the image, the preparation looks rich and spicy.
7. Preheat the Microwave oven or Normal OTG for 5 min. In my case, I made the Pizza in a Microwave Oven by heating in grill mode.
8. Take the butter smeared Pizza Base from Step 2 above, spread the entire vegetable mixture/masala spread from Step 6 above.
9. Sprinkle grated Mozzarella Cheese and place this ready to cook Pizza on a crust plate for baking. Instead of using a crust plate, you can keep this Vegetarian Pizza base directly on a grill stand and grill it for 4-6 minutes or until the Cheese melts and spreads all over the Pizza base.
Now your very own Vegetarian Pizza is ready to serve. One can have the Vegetarian Pizza with Tomato Sauce and Coke/Pepsi.