Sabjis are the daily requirement of an Indian food. These are necessary to accompany the Chapathi, roti, kulcha, naan and even plain rice. Every day I plan to cook in such a way that all the necessary nutrients are included in the menu. Paneer Matar Sabji is one such dish that has everything in it and easy to prepare. Its taste is awesome. My child often asks for this dish and she loves the taste.
The only previous day preparation is to soak the dry green peas. If you are using the fresh ones or the frozen ones just clean and bring to room temperature before cooking. Always select good quality paneer and see to it that it is freshly made. Stale dairy products have lot of bacteria in it which causes infection. So see the Mfd before you purchase. It is better if you can prepare that at home. Paneer Matar Sabji recipie is as follows. Give it a try and enjoy its lip smacking taste.
Paneer Matar Sabji Ingredients:
- Green Peas – 200 gm
- Paneer or Cottage Cheese – 50 gm (or 10-12 small pieces)
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Curd – 3 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dhaniya or Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 6-7 cloves
- Jeera or Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion – 1 big sized
- Tomato – 2 medium sized
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Milk Cream – 2 tsp
Time to Prepare: 30 min Serves : 4 How To Make Paneer Matar Sabji:
- Soak the Green Peas in water at night. Next day morning, cook the peas with added Salt and Sugar in a pressure cooker or in Microwave for about 3-4 min. If using frozen Green Peas, cook it once as explained above.
- Curd Paste: In a small cup, take Curd, Turmeric powder, Dhaniya powder, Red Chilly powder, Garam Masala and 1/4 tsp of salt. Mix everything well with spoon to make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Take one Tomato cut it into small size pieces; chop the Onion into small size pieces, and Paneer into cubes. Make puree by other Tomato by grinding in a mixer grinder.
- Fry the Paneer cubes in Oil till they turn to golden color. Remove only the Paneer from the pan. Keep the same Oil for preparing the Sabji.
- In a same pan with already heated oil, Add chopped garlic. Fry till the garlic cloves turn light golden brown.
- Add Cumin seeds. When the seeds splutter, add chopped Onion and fry till the Onions turn light golden brown.
- Add chopped Tomatoes and fry for 2 min. Then add Tomato Puree and leave it to cook for a min.
- Add cooked Peas and mix well and leave it to cook for 2 min and mix well with all ingredients.
- Add curd paste to this mixture and cook for a minute.
- Add fried Paneer pieces and mix well and cook for few minutes so that the masala in the gravy mix well with the Paneer
- Now the Sabji is almost ready. Add Milk cream and mix well. Remove from flame.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves. You are finally done!
This Sabji can be served with Indian breads like Chapati, Roti, Naan and Kulcha.
This was taught by my cousin’s wife and sweet friend Ramya.