After my post Oats Breakfast Recipe became surprisingly the most popular post of this blog, I wanted to try out a few more Oats recipes. Oats Vegetable Soup is my own recipe that I tried with Quaker Oats, one of the most popular Oats brands. Vegetable Soup with Oats has good taste and feels even healthier. If not aware, read my Oats Breakfast Recipe (sees comments too) to know about some of the health benefits of Oats. I am happy to say that me and my family found Oats Vegetable Soup tasted as good as any of the varieties of soups like Corn Soup, Tomato Soup, Baby Corn Soup, Cabbage Soup, Mixed Vegetables Soup etc. that we have had previously.
Soups make great starters or side dishes which are great for health and Oats Vegetable Soup is no exception. Soups are quite easy to prepare. Some people prepare Soup by grinding all the cooked vegetables into a vegetable paste, but here I prepared by chopping the vegetables into small pieces. Chopped vegetables give better taste to the Soup (if not cooked fully – see method below for details).
You can get lots of ready-made Soup packets in the Market, branded Knorr Soup, MTR ready-to-eat soup etc. With these, you prepare Soup by just pouring the content of packet into the boiling water and cooking for 5-6 min. But as you will hopefully discover here, preparing Soup of your own like the Oats Vegetable Soup is not difficult. Also check out my Palak or Spinach Soup Recipe.
- Quakers Oats – 3 Tbsp
- Green Beans – 15
- Carrot – 1
- Green Peas – 1/4 Cup
- Sweet Corn – 1/4 Cup (optional)
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro /Coriander Leaves (Optional)
Time to Prepare: 20 min
How to Make Oats Vegetable Soup:
- Wash and cut Carrots and Green Beans into small pieces and cook them in a pressure cooker until you hear 2 whistles or cook in microwave for 6-8 min. The vegetables should be half cooked. As you follow the next steps, ensure that the vegetables are not cooked fully and turn too soft – soups with partially cooked vegetables taste much better in my experience and perhaps healthier too.
- Heat 1/2 cup of water in a vessel or pan. Transfer the cooked vegetables to this vessel. Also add Green Peas, Sweet Corn and allow to cook for 5 min.
- At this stage, add Quakers Oats and cook for 5 more minutes. Once you add the Oats, the whole mixture turns a bit thick. If needed add 1/4 cup of water to the mixture and keep stirring so that the Oats do not turn into lumps and these Oats are cooked well.
- Now add Pepper Powder, Sugar and Salt and heat for a minute. Finally add Milk and stir once and boil the mixture for a minute more. Do not overheat/cook this Soup mixture for more than 2 minutes once you add the Milk. You can skip the Milk if you want to by adding 1/2 cup of Water instead, but Milk provides better taste. See to it that the Oats Soup turns out to be sufficiently thin to your preference.
Oats Vegetable Soup is now ready to serve. If needed garnish with Cilantro/Coriander Leaves.
Serve Oats Vegetable Soup hot.