Methi Palak Curry or Sabzi is a regular dish at my home for Chapati. If you prepare Chapati daily, you will need a variety of Sabzis or Curries. Methi Palak Curry can help add to the variety of dishes you prepare at home. It can accompany Jowar Roti as well. I like having this curry with Curd Rice too.
I have used Toor Dal in this curry which imparts taste and thickness to this preparation. The groundnut seasoning adds its own flavor. Methi and Palak is a great combination. Without Palak, the curry can acquire a slightly bitter taste when Methi alone is used. So, make sure you add at least a cup of chopped Palak or Spinach Leaves to the curry preparation.
- Methi or Fenugreek Leaves : 3 Cups
- Palak or Spinach Leaves : 1 – 1/2 Cups
- Big Sized Onion – 1
- Big Sized Tomato – 1
- Toor Dal / Pigeon Pea – 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
Seasoning Ingredients :
- Oil – 1 and 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Groundnut or Peanut – 1 Tbsp
Preparation Time : 20 – 30 min
How to Make Methi Palak Curry or Fenugreek Spinach Curry:
- Wash and soak the Methi Leaves in salted water for 10 min and then chop and keep aside. Wash and chop the Palak leaves as well.
- Chop the Onions and Tomatoes into small chunks. Keep aside.
- Wash and cook the Toor Dal / Pigeon Pea in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the pressure cooker when the pressure eases and keep ready before to start the curry.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds, once it splutter add Jeera and fry for a minute. Now add the Groundnuts or Peanuts.Fry until the Peanuts turns to golden in color.
- At this stage add the chopped Onions and Turmeric Powder and fry until the Onion turns to transparent. Now add the chopped Tomatoes and cook until the Tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add the Washed and chopped Methi or Fenugreek Leaves and Palak or Spinach Leaves and add 1/4 Cup of water and cook it for 10 minutes or (until the Leaves cooked properly) by closing the lid.
- Now add the cooked Toor Dal or Pigeon Pea to the pan and stir once to mix well with all the other ingredients.
- Then add the all the Powders like Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala Powder, Salt and Jaggery and mix well once and allow it to cook for 5 more minutes.
Now the Methi Palak Curry or Fenugreek Spinach Curry is ready. Serve this with Chapati or Jowar Roti.