Ginger has very vital medicinal properties in it. If used on a daily basis, it keeps most of the diseases at bay. Hence in Indian cuisine, you can find Ginger in most of the spiced dishes. Ginger Tambli or Shunti Tambli is one of those healthy dishes, our ancestors have gifted. It is also called as an appetizer. It is always served as first dish in functions or at home. This Ginger Tambli cleanses your stomach when you are suffering from gastric problem or if your taste buds are bland, the taste buds are revived. We, people in Karnataka; prepare more Tambli, Chutney or Gojju dishes by using simple ingredients with vegetables. Tambli is prepared more often in summer season, as it re-hydrates the body. It gives soothing effect and also helps in digestion process.
Mangloreans also known as South Canara people, use Coconut Oil for frying ingredients in almost all dishes. It not only gives good taste but healthy also. Hence in this Tambli recipe, I have used coconut oil to fry Ginger and Red Chillies. Once you finish the frying, grind it with Coconut and Salt, and then mix it to the Curd or Buttermilk. Finally gives the seasoning. Seasoning with Ghee gives more taste to the Tambli. If you do not want to use Ghee replace it with Coconut Oil. Sun dried Curd Chillies or Majjige Menasu goes well with the Tambli. If you do not have the Sun dried Curd Chillies replace it with Red Chillies.
Ginger Tambli or Shunti Tambli :
- Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
- Finely Chopped Ginger – 1 Tbsp
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli – 1
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Curd or Buttermilk – 1 Cup
Ghee / Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 12 tsp
Sun dried Curd Chillies or Majjige Menasu – 1
Time to Prepare: 10 Minutes
How to Make Ginger Tambli or Shunti Tambli:
1. Grate coconut and keep aside. Clean the Ginger, remove its skin and finely chop it to get 1 Tbsp of its pieces.
2. Heat Coconut Oil in a small frying pan, add Jeera. Fry for a minute. Then add chopped Ginger and fry till you get the aroma of the Ginger, it may take a minute.
3. Then add Red Chillies and fry till it changes its colour slightly. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixer jar.
4. Add grated Coconut and Salt. Add 2 Tbsp of Water and grind it to a smooth paste.
5. In a bowl add Curd or Buttermilk. Transfer the smooth paste from mixer jar to this bowl and mix well with whisk.
6. Heat Ghee or Coconut Oil in a pan. Add Mustard Seeds, once it splutters add broken Sun dried Curd Chillies or Majjige Menasu and fry till the Chilli’s colour changes.
7. Add the above seasoned ingredients to the Ginger Tambli or Shunti Tambli bowl and mix well.
Now the Ginger Tambli or Shunti Tambli is ready for serving. Serve this with plain hot rice.