Sometimes I will have very little time to cook. But I never want to compromise on nutrients and taste. Times like when a surprise visitor for dinner or when I need to rush out with lunch prepared; I will need some dishes which are filling, tasty and wholesome. Though I cannot keep sitting cutting vegetables for long, I search for alternatives like corn, peas which are almost ready to use. I usually store the corn and peas (checked once) in my refrigerator soon after I purchase them. What I do for situations like these is I bring them out to defreeze. In the time it comes to room temperature, I would have washed rice, ground to paste the pulao ingredients and keep them ready. Now only frying and cooking part will be left, which I can finish in few minutes. If you follow this recipe of corn pulao, you will certainly agree with my idea. So enjoy your personal time.
Corn Pulao/Pulav tastes great and easy to prepare requiring fewer vegetables. You can prepare Corn Pulao/Pulav for lunch or as a breakfast dish as well.
Corn Pulao/Pulav Ingredients:
- Rice – 1 cup
- American Corn – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 big sized
- Pulao/Pulav leaves or Tej Patta or Bay Leaves – 1 big sized
- Oil + Ghee – 2 Tbsp
- Cloves – 1
- Dalchini / Cinnamon – 1/4 inch
Pulav Paste Ingredients:
- Tomato – 1 small sized
- Cashew Nuts – 7-8
- Coriander Leaves – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1/2 inch length
- Green Chillies – 2
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Cloves or Lavang – 2
- Cinnamon or Dalchini – 1/4 inch
Time to Prepare: 30 mins
How to Make Corn Pulao/Pulav :
- Wash Rice with water. Pour out the water completely – rice should stay as dry as possible. Wash American Corn once with water.
- Chop the Onions lengthwise. Keep aside. Crush or pound Cinnamon or Dalchini; have it ready.
- Transfer all the Pulav Paste ingredients listed above to a mixer jar. Grind well (without adding water) in the mixer grinder to obtain smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat Oil in a cooker container. Add Onion and fry until the Onions look slightly transparent. Now add crushed Dalchini powder, Pulao Leaves and fry for a min.
- Add ground paste and fry in the cooker container with above ingredients till the water content disappears.
- Add washed Rice from step 1 and fry until the Rice turns a bit thick. Now add 2 cups of water to the cooker and stir for a min. Add Corn and Salt and close the pressure cooker lid and allow the contents to cook.
- When you hear the 3 cooker whistles, switch to low flame and continue to heat for about 2 minutes. Then switch off the flame and allow the pressure of the cooker to ease.
Now Corn Pulao/Pulav is ready to serve.
I took Corn Pulao/Pulav recipe from my cousin Vasudha. It really tastes good.