Along with the common Cabbage Sabzi or Cabbage Poriyal/Palya I describe here, Cabbage lends itself to preparation of varieties of dishes – Cabbage Salads (many variations), Cabbage Pulao, Cabbage Dosa, Cabbage Pakoda, Cabbage Cutlet and so on. While smell of certain varieties of Cabbage can be a turn-off for some, many of these dishes are quite popular and taste really good.
By itself, Cabbage is a low calorie, near zero fat vegetable which can been used in weight-loss programs. They are a good source of Vitamin C and Calcium. Cabbages have been known to treat conditions like acute inflammation, peptic ulcers and cancer. Read more about benefits of Cabbage here.
The Cabbage Sabzi recipe I have given below is a simple one that anyone can try preparing. This Sabzi can be served with Chapati or can be mixed and consumed with regular White Rice too. You may also be interested in recipe for Band Gobi Chole, a tasty preparation that goes well with Chapati/Roti. One more variety of Cabbage Sabzi was tasted by me in my native – this special Cabbage Sabzi was served with Jolada Rotti or Jowar Roti by my neighbor and was prepared with good amount of Toor Dal and Onions. I wish to prepare and post this unique Cabbage Palya/Poriyal someday.
- Shredded Cabbage – 2 Cups
- Grated Coconut – 2 Tbsp or 1/4 Cup
- Slit or Chopped Green Chillies – 2-3
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery or Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal / White Lenthils – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4-5
Time to Prepare: 15-20 min
How to Make Cabbage Sabzi or Cabbage Poriyal:
- Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once the Seeds splutter, add Urad Dal and fry until they turn to golden in color.
- Add Curry leaves and fry for a min. Now add the slit or chopped Green Chillies and fry again for a minute to take the extra spice out of the chillies.
- At this stage, add the Shredded Cabbage and Turmeric Powder and stir once, so that all the ingredients mix well and continue frying for one more minute. Now add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and close the lid to cook the Cabbage thoroughly. This cooking may take 5-7 minutes of time.
- Once the Cabbage turns tender, add Salt, Jaggery or Sugar, Grated Coconut and mix well and cook in low flame for 2-3 minutes. Once the Salt and Sugar mix well with the other ingredients, add Lemon Juice and mix well and leave it to cook for a minute. Be careful not to prolong cooking after adding the Lemon Juice to the Sabzi. Remove from flame when done.
Now the Cabbage Sabzi or Cabbage Poriyal is ready to serve. Serve this Cabbage Sabzi or Palya with Chapati, Plain white Rice or with Curd Rice.