Avalakki Upkari is a recipe of Coastal Karnataka yet lovable by all, in my opinion. Can be a great breakfast dish or evening snack since it is so very easy and quick to prepare. I often prepare this for morning breakfast along with Kesari Bath or Rava Kesari.
Ingredients for Avalakki (Poha) Upkari:
- Paper Avalakki or Poha or Thin Flattened Rice – 2 1/2 cups
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Sugar – 4 tea spoons
- Green Chilli – 1
- Salt – 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
- Coconut Oil – 2 tea spoons
- Mustard – 1/2 tea spoon
- Urad Dal / White Lenthils – 1/2 tea spoon
- Red Chilli dried – 1
- Curry Leaves
How To Make Avalakki Upkari:
- Oggarane or Frying in Kadai : Heat coconut oil in frying pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard stops spluttering add urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves. Fry well till the urad dal turns golden brown. Keep the Tempering mixture aside.
- Take a big vessel with grated coconut. Add sugar, salt, chopped green chillies, coriander leaves and Tempering mixture prepared above. Hand mix the whole preparation for few minutes until the red chillies are crushed and mix well with other ingredients. Add poha/Avalakki to this mixture and hand mix well again.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. The dish must be served fresh since poha can dry quickly.
Avalakki upkari / Poha Snack can be had for breakfast or as an evening snack.