“Ganesha banda, Kai Kadabu thinda, Chikkerelbidha, Dodkerelbidha!” This quote is very famous for all aged people in Karnataka. Come Ganesh festival and it is a grand celebration everywhere. This day in every road you travel, you can smell only sweets; i.e, Unde, Kai, Kadabu Wow Wow. The word Undlakai reminds me of my golden days of childhood. My Grandmother used to prepare this for Ganesh Chaturthi. She used to prepare this with the leftover dough of Kai Kadabu. This Ganesh festival I too gave it a try. Originally my GM used to prepare Undlkai by soaking and grinding the rice, but I prepared using Rice flour. The old method is a lengthy process, but very tasty. Now days we do all short cuts. When I tried this Undlkai or Kozhukattai recipe this also came out good.
The recipe is very simple. Just boil the water, add rice flour to it and mix well for few minutes on low flame. Then while it is still warm prepare balls and mix it with Coconut-Jaggery mixture. So try this simple Undlakai or Kozhukattai recipe at home. Next time when Ganesha visits your house serve him your hand made Undlakai.
Undlakai or Sweet Kozhukattai Ingredients:
- Rice Flour – 1 Cup
- Oil – to Grease
- Water – 1 and 1/2 cups to 2 Cups
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Jaggery – 1/4 Cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
How to Make Undlakai or Sweet Kozhukattai:
- Boil the water in a kadai. Add Salt to the water while boiling. Then add Rice Flour slowly side by side mixing it well with the help of a spatula. It turns like dough. See to it that there should not be any lumps formed in the dough.
- Leave it to cool for 5 minutes so that it can be handled easily. Grease the hand with Oil (We usually use Coconut Oil). Take a small amount of dough in hand and make an even sized ball from it. Repeat the same with the remaining dough.
- Transfer all the balls to a plate and steam it in a steamer for 8-10 minutes. Do not over cook the Rice balls, it may harden.
- Meanwhile mix grated Coconut and Jaggery once with hand and transfer it to a kadai. Heat it in a low flame so that the Jaggery mixes well with Coconut.
- Remove the Rice balls from the steamer and add all the balls to the Coconut-Jaggery mixture for 3-4 minutes or stir it till it coats well.