Rice Dumplings is a South Indian dish and is also known by Gidde or Gatti in Karnataka. They make a great tasting healthy breakfast though it can be had during meal time too for lunch or dinner. My family loves to have this with regular Coconut Chutney that gets prepared for Dosa or Idly/Idli.
One may find the procedure just a little lengthy but at the end we get to have unique tasting Rice Dumplings loved by many. You may find the Rice Dumpling to taste even better when you use chopped Coconut pieces, but I usually go for grated Coconut in the interest of time. The Rice Dumpling recipe involves preparing Upma from Rice Semolina/Rawa (Idly Rawa), coming up with round shaped or oblong shaped Rice Dumplings and then steam cooking the same.
- Rice Semolina or Rice Rawa or Idly Rawa – 1 Cup
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal/White Lenthils – 1 tsp
- Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tsp
- Chopped Curry Leaves – 8-10
- Finely chopped Green Chillies – 2-3
- Chopped Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – 2 Tbsp
- Grated Coconut or Chopped Coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Water – 2 Cups
Time to Make : 30 min
How to Make Rice Dumplings:
1. In pan or vessel, boil 2 cups of water and keep the boiling water ready to be poured into Rice Dumpling mixture during step 6 below.
2. Heat Oil in another pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once the Mustard Seeds splutter, add Urad Dal/White Lenthils and Bengal Gram Dal and fry until they turn golden in color.
3. Now add Chopped Curry Leaves, Finely chopped Green Chillies and fry for a minute.
4. Then add Rice Semolina or Rice Rawa or Idly/Idli Rawa to the above mixture and fry for 3-4 minutes until you obtain a distinct aroma from the mixture. Take care not to fry too much.
5. At this stage, add Grated Coconut or Chopped Coconut pieces (for good taste use Chopped Coconut pieces), Chopped Coriander Leaves / Cilantro, Salt and fry for a minute.
6. Now add hot water or boiled water from Step 1 above to the above fried mixture in the pan and and mix well and leave the Rice Semolina or Idly Rawa to cook well. This is exactly similar to procedure you would follow for preparing Upma/Uppittu. Once the Rawa or Semolina is cooked, remove from the flame. Now the mixture should as seen in the image below, ready for making round shaped Rice Dumplings.
7. Take a small portion of the above Rice Upma (when hot) and hand shape them to a round or oblong shaped dumpling (or shape it like Idli/Idly) as per your choice, transfer them to Idly/Idli moulds and again steam cook these Rice Dumplings or Gidde for 10-12 minutes in a cooker.
8. Remove the Rice Dumplings from the Idli/Idly stand. Hot delicious Rice Dumplings are now ready to be served.
Serve hot with Coconut Chutney. These Rice Dumplings or Gidde taste good even after they turn cold.