The recipe for Rasam Powder and Rasam was long pending from my side. Now that I have a recipe for Rasam in place, I decided to quickly post one for the powder required for its preparation. One of my aunts gave me some insight into preparing this powder and I was happy when it came out very well.
The idea behind Rasam Powder recipe is quite simple – just dry roast the below ingredients and grind them into smooth powder. In just 20 minutes time, less than the time it takes to drive to the supermarket to get it, you have a home-made aromatic Rasam Powder ready. Make sure you store the powder in an air-tight container to keep it pure and fresh. When you need to prepare Rasam like the Tomato Rasam, just add 2-3 tsp of this powder to obtain good taste.
Also have a look at my recipe for Spicy Poha where I use this Rasam Powder to come up with a quick evening time snack. You may have more creative ways of using this powder as in say, a Palya or Poriyal preparation. Do let me know if you have tried something like this before.
Rasam Powder Ingredients:
- Coriander Seeds or Dhaniya – 1 Cup
- Cumin Seeds or Jeera – 1/2 Cup
- Fenugreek Seeds or Methi – 3 tsp
- Peppercorn – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chillies – 20-25
- Curry Leaves – washed and dried (No measurement)
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
Time to Prepare: 20 min
How to Make Rasam Powder :
- Dry roast the Coriander Seeds or Dhaniya in a pan until you obtain good aroma or until the color of the seeds changes slightly. Pour out the Coriander Seeds to a medium sized bowl; keep aside.
- In a same pan, dry roast the Cumin Seeds or Jeera for 3-4 minutes and transfer them into the same bowl as the one used for Coriander Seeds in the previous step.
- Pour Oil into the heated pan, add Asafoetida or Hing followed by Fenugreek Seeds or Methi and roast in Oil for a minute. Now add Peppercorn and fry for a minute.
- Now add Red Chillies and roast for 2-3 minutes and finally add Curry Leaves and fry again for 2-3 minutes and transfer all these ingredients to the above bowl(in Step 2).
- Leave the mixture to cool and finally grind them in a mixture grinder until you obtain a smooth powder.
Now the Rasam Powder is ready. Transfer the powder to an air tight container to retain the freshness and aroma of the powder. Use Rasam Powder as required when preparing Rasam soup.