Oggarange Avalakki/Poha is an easy to prepare breakfast dish. Many have this on evenings as well.
Oggarane Avalakki Ingredients:
- Thick Poha or Flattened Rice/Dappa Avalakki – 2 cups (125 * 2 ml)
- Chopped Onions – 1 medium sized
- Chopped Tomatoes – 1 small sized
- Chopped Green Chillies – 3-4
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal / White Lenthils – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 7-8
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Roasted Gram powder (Powdered Huri kadale or Putani)- 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
How to Make:
Soak the Poha in water for 5-7 min. Check to ensure that the Poha has turned soft. Try not to soak Poha for more than 7 min. Drain out all the water used for soaking Poha from the vessel and keep Poha aside.
The whole preparation can be completed in 15-20 min on a medium sized frying pan as explained below -
1) Heat Oil in a medium sized fry pan; add Mustard seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add Urad Dal, Curry Leaves, Green Chillies and fry for a minute.
2) Now add chopped Onions and Turmeric powder and fry until Onions turn golden brown.
3) Once frying Onions is done, add chopped Tomatoes and cook for 2 min.
4) Then add Sugar, Salt and Lemon Juice and mix them well.
5) Now add Poha to the contents in the frying pan and mix well with a ladle.
6) Finally add Roasted Gram powder and again, ensure all ingredients are mixed well..
Garnish with Coriander leaves. For best taste, serve hot.