Though Idli is a staple food, week on week eating it with chutney becomes sometimes boring. Without chutney or sabamar, plain idli is just unconsumable. One day it so happened that both chutney and sambar were emptied leaving alone many idlies. I was wondering what to do and remembered my friend ones told about eating Idli Upma but not the recipe. So I thought of putting the regular Upma seasoning ingredients and frying powdered Idlies in it. I am giving you the simple steps I proceeded while making Idli Upma. Just follow and enjoy this recipe not only to finish the leftover Idlies but also for an innovating dish.
Idli Umpa Ingredients:
- Idlies – 4
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal / White Lenthils – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 10 leaves
- Chopped Ginger – 1 small piece
- Chopped Green Chillies – 2
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 2 pinches
- Chopped Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
Preparation Time : 10-15 min
How to Prepare Idli Upma:
- Powder the idlis by squeezing them gently with your hand. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start to splutter, add urad dal, curry leaves and fry for a minute. Then add chopped ginger, green chillies and turmeric powder; mix well. Then add crushed or powdered Idlies with salt and mix well for a minute.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
I usually try this recipe when the idlies do not taste good with chutney. I also prepare this for evening snacks if I have left over idlies from morning. This dish is spicy and tastes great.