Children adore snacks more than rice, roti and vegetables. We moms need to constantly learn new recipes that can be done both for packing lunch box and for evening snacks. My daughter Dhanya loves Sandwiches which she preferred to munch for breakfast,
short break in school or for supper. For this reason I purchased sandwich maker 3 years back. Eventually I had to stack it inside cupboard, as my in-laws disliked eating bread often. This made me buy her sandwiches and Garlic Bread from bakers. For some time this was going good. But whenever she fell sick, I was advised not to give outside food. It was quite difficult to restrain her cravings for Garlic bread from Pizza Hut. I had to think a way of preparing this at home and please her. Since she loves toppings, I decided to do some lovely toppings on normal bread. Hence my attempt at Home made Garlic Bread with taste enhancing ingredients.
Now I shall present you my own version of Garlic Bread recipe both tawa and Oven methods. Select good quality bread. Here I have used Whole Wheat bread as I feel it is much healthier type. You can get good taste by adding herbs to the Butter Spread for Garlic Bread. Just add all the ingredients to the Butter and mix well. Spread it on the bread. Keep it on heated tawa or in preheated Oven and cook or bake it accordingly. If you have time mince the garlic so that while chewing you get the garlic pieces and it gives good taste. If one doesn’t like to chew the Garlic pieces, grate it and mix with butter. Here I have minced few Garlic pods and few grated. You can skip the Parsley if not available or can use the dried ones too. As I use Parsley in Salads, it is always in my refrigerator. I have added few chilli flakes. One can add more Chilli flakes if you like spicy. Serve the Garlic Bread with Ketchup or Tomato Sauce.
Garlic Bread Ingredients:
- Bread Slices – 4
- Unsalted Butter – 3 Tbsp
- Garlic Pods – 6
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Flakes – 1/4 tsp
- Parsley Chopped – 2 tsp (Optional)
- Grated Processed Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese – 2 Tbsp or more if desired
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee or Butter – 1 tsp for applying to Tawa
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
How to Make Garlic Bread on Tawa and in Oven:
1. Keep bread slices ready. Mince or grate the Garlic Pods and keep ready.
2. Take Butter in a mixing bowl. Add grated or minced Garlic, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Chopped Parsley and Salt. Mix well using spoon. Taste it before applying this spread to bread, do not add more than the Salt recommended. Once you add Cheese it becomes more Salty.
Now the spread is ready.
Garlic Bread on Tawa:
a. Add the grated Cheese to the spread made as in step 2 and mix well. This way the Cheese will not stick to Tawa.
b. Take one bread slice. Apply the spread on one side and smear it evenly.
c. Heat the Iron skillet or non-stick tawa. Apply Ghee or Butter slightly; keep the smeared side of bread on Tawa. Roast it on medium flame. The butter begins to melt and the Cheese becomes golden colour. Flip on the other side and roast it until this also changes to golden colour. Now this will be slightly crispy. Remove it from tawa and repeat the process for remaining breads. Garlic Bread is ready.
Garlic Bread in Oven:
a. Keep the high rack in oven and preheat it at 200 degree C for 10 minutes. I have Convection Oven. So I keep the grill inside and preheat it.
b. Meanwhile daub the Butter Spread (made as from step 2) on the Bread Slices and top it with grated Cheese. Place these Bread Slices with plain side as bottom on the hot grill and turn the oven to Grill mode. At a time you can keep 4 bread slices. Bake it for 5 minutes. It may take less time in OTG. Keep watching it. Once the sides of the bread changes to brown and the Cheese have melted, remove it from the Oven.
1. If you are using the Salted Butter avoid adding Salt. Since cheese will be containing salt it is better to add less salt.
2. You can use White bread or Sandwich bread. Again, if you are using Sandwich bread add still less quantity of Salt.
3. Buy fresh herbs and parsley. The more new ingredients you use, the better taste.
4. Cheese does not change to same colour in Oven and Tawa method.