Today, I thought of preparing simple Dal Fry as I was in a hurry to finish cooking and go for cookery class. I am learning to make new and rare snacks. But my stack ran out of Onions and I couldn’t wait for the purchase. Therefore I decided to do simple Dal Fry without Onion and Garlic. My recipe has a few changes compared to the recipe you get online or the usual North Indian style. Often I mix 2 or 3 variety of Dals whenever I do curries out of it.
Mainly in South India and Gujarat, I have noticed people do not consume Onion and Garlic during festivals. In such situations, you can choose this recipe. You can do some variations to this recipe with your own choices. Also for the Dal you can include Moong Dal. I have added Masoor Dal which gives a different appealing taste to the Dal. Each dal when done separately gives a different taste and colour in this recipe. So you can try making this dish with single dal, two dals or mixture of more than 2 dals. If you prefer, just add Ginger Garlic paste and cut Onions. With Coriander leaves garnished this Dal Fry looks very attractive and aromatic too. This Dal Fry can be consumed with hot Rice too. We had it with Phulka and Brown Rice. This simple Dal Fry was very tasty and everybody at home liked it.
Cooking “Dal Fry – Without Onion Garlic” is very easy. Just cook the Dal with Ginger, Turmeric, Hing and Ghee. Then fry the other ingredients in Ghee. Ghee gives different taste to the Dal. If you are very health conscious, replace it with cooking Oil. Add the cooked Dal to the fried ingredients and mix well. Garnish with Coriander Leaves. Now the simple yet tasty Dal Fry is ready to be served. You can also add the seasonings at the end by frying Jeera and Red Chilli Powder in Ghee.
Dal Fry – Without Onion Garlic Ingredients:
- Toor Dal – 1/4 Cup
- Masoor Dal – 1/4 Cup
- Chopped Tomato – 1 Medium Sized
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or Hing – Pinch
- Green chillies – 2
- Finely Chopped Ginger – 1 tsp
- Kasoori Methi – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee or Clarified Butter – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds or Jeera – 1 tsp
Time to Prepare: 15 minutes
Serves – 3
How to Make Dal Fry – Without Onion Garlic :
1. Wash both the Dals in a pressure cooker vessel. Add chopped Ginger, Hing, Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida and 1/2 tsp of Ghee to the dals. Pressure cook for 3 or 4 whistles. The dal should become soft and mushy. Just mash it with ladle slightly when it is hot. Keep aside.
2. Heat Ghee in a Kadai, add Jeera, let it splutter. Add Green Chillies and fry for a minute.
3. Then add chopped Tomatoes to the Kadai and fry till it becomes little soft. Then add Salt to it and once again mix well.
4. Now add a cup of water and let it boil for few more minutes. Then add Chilli Powder.
5. At this stage, add crushed Kasuri Methi and mix well. Now add cooked Dal to the Kadai and mix with ladle. Let it cook for 3 minutes.
6. Finally add chopped Coriander Leaves and mix well. Remove from flame and serve it with hot rice or Pulka.
Now the Dal Fry without Onion Garlic is ready to serve with plain Rice. I served with Brown Rice. One can have with normal white Rice too.
1. For variations try using only Toor Dal or Moong Dal.
2. You can add Ginger Garlic paste instead of raw Ginger, but add it while frying the Tomatoes. If you are using Onions, add it after the Green Chillies are well fried.
3. Lemon juice extract(1 tsp) can be added to the Dal, but remember to add it at the end after removing from flame. Do not add lemon juice to the Dal Fry while boiling, as the dish becomes bitter to taste. Reduce the quantity of Tomato if using Lemon.