You can make Brahmin wedding Rasam at home easily using the Udupi Rasam Powder. The Udupi Rasam powder recipe is also provided.
Toor Dal – 1/4 Cup
Tamarind Water – 1/2 Cup
Coconut Milk – 1/2 Cup
Tomato – 1
Curry Leaves – 8-10
Jaggery – 1-2 tsp
Rasam Powder – 2 Tbsp
Coriander Leaves stem chopped – 1 Tbsp
Coriander Leaves – 2-3 Tbsp
Ghee/Clarified Butter – 2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida – 2-3 pinches
Watch my Udupi Rasam video with English Captions.
The Udupi style Rasam Powder recipe is posted here with English Captions.
1. Wash 1/4 Cup Toor Dal in water, add 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder and water to it. Pressure cook in a cooker till 4 whistles and keep it ready.
2. Once the Dal cools, add it to a mixer jar and grind to a smooth paste.
3. Soak a small lemon-sized Tamarind in water for half an hour and extract the Tamarind Water. Keep aside.
4. Also, extract thick 1/2 Cup Coconut milk from grinding coconut with water and filter to get the thick coconut milk.,
5. Add 1 Big-sized chopped Tomato to a vessel.
6. Add 1 Cup of water and mix well.
7. Add 8-10 Curry Leaves.
8. Mix and cook till the Tomatoes turn soft.
9. Now, add the extracted Tamarind Water and mix well.
10. Add Salt as per taste.
11. Add 1 to 2 tsp Jaggery and mix and allow it to boil.
12. Add 2 Tbsp of Rasam Powder. Mix well and allow the mixture to boil.
13. Add chopped coriander stem into small pieces and add the same.
14. Allow to boil for 8-10 minutes.
15. Now add the ground Dal and a little water.
16. Add more water to adjust the Rasam consistency. Mix well and allow to boil.
17. Now add Coconut Milk.
18. Mix well and allow to boil for 5-8 minutes.
19. Add 2-3 Tbsp of Coriander Leaves and mix well. Allow to boil for 5 more minutes and then switch off the flame.
20. Seasoning: Add 2 Tbsp Ghee to the small frying pan.
21. Once Ghee is hot, add 1 tsp Mustard Seeds.
22. Once the Mustard seeds splutter, add 1 tsp Cumin Seeds.
23. Add 2-3 pinches of Hing/Asafoetida and fry for a minute.
24. Now add this seasoning immediately to the prepared Rasam and mix well.
Serve this Rasam with hot Rice and with any variety of Millet.