Patrode is a South Canara dish or to be more precise Mangalorian dish. We usually prepare this with chopped Spring Onion Greens, Cabbage, Methi Leaves or with Colocasia Leaves (Kesavina Soppu in Kannada). Here I present you the recipe of Patrode with Spring Onion Greens.Whenever we buy the Spring Onions, my mother in law prepares this Patrode. I learnt this Spring Onion Patrode or stir fry from her. This was their traditional recipe when they used to grow rice in their farm. In South Canara, rice is the main agricultural crop. So people there invented many varieties of rice dishes. Almost all the recipes my MIL prepares has rice as the main ingredient.
This is a very simple recipe. Chopping the Spring Onion takes little time. Just you need to grind the soaked rice with all the other ingredients, mixed with the Spring Onions and cook it in pressure cooker. Finally do the seasoning. It tastes like Gojju Avalakki with Onion smell in it. It really tastes good. You can have it as the morning breakfast or can be served in lunch or dinner.
Spring Onion Patrode or stir fry Ingredients:
- Spring Onion – 2 Cups
- Rice – 1 Cup
- Red chiilies – 5 or 6
- Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Jeera or Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
- Dhaniya or Coriander Seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad Dal or White Lentils – 2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 2 tsp
- Tamarind – 1 small gooseberry size
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 and 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1.2 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
How to Make Spring Onion Patrode or stir fry:
- Wash and soak Rice in water for 2 or 3 hours. Chop the Spring Onion and keep ready.
- Dry roast the Urad Dal and Channa Dal separately till you get the roasted aroma or fry till the colour changes.
- In a mixer grinder add soaked Rice, dry fried Urad Dal, Channa Dal, Jeera, Dhaniya, Tamarind, Jaggery, Salt and Turmeric Powder. Add a cup of water and grind it to a thick paste, adjust the consistency adding little water in between. Not too thin like dosa batter.
- Now add the chopped Spring Onion to this ground batter and mix well.
- Grease the cooker bowl with little Oil. Spread the batter in this bowl and cook it for 3 or 4 whistles and switch off the flame. Once the pressure eases remove the cooker bowl and leave it to cool for 10 minutes. It may stick to the bowl after cooking. Take a ladle and scoop it out. Spread it on a plate to cool.
- Heat Oil in a big kadai, add Mustard Seeds. Once it splutters, add Urad Dal. As it turns to golden in colour, add the Channa Dal and fry for a minute. Now add the above cooked Patrode mixture and mix it with seasoned ingredients. Mix it well and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from flame. Serve hot or warm.