Eating the same type of Snake Gourd Sabji all the time I buy this vegetable, makes me feel bored. I was looking for a different taste of this vegetable. My mother-in-law prepared this curry one day in a different method, which I liked a lot. I too tried the same way that came out well too. Here I give you this special Snake Gourd Curry.
It taste a mixture of little spicy, sweet and salty. It goes well with plain white rice and also with Chapati too. This recipe has a very simple procedure to be followed. If you have time, just cook the Bottle Gourd directly after seasoning with little water to it and by closing the lid for few minutes.
The taste will be different than pressure cooking the Snake Gourd. The rich taste in this curry is obtained by the presence of Coconut; hence need to add little more quantity of it. By adding Rice to the curry gives thickness and also it enhances the taste. So try and enjoy the Snake Gourd Curry.
Snake Gourd Curry using Coconut Ingredients:
- Snake Gourd or Padavalkai – 2 Medium sized
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Rice – 2 tsp
- Green Chilli – 1
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 6 or 7
- Oil – 3 tsp
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
How to Make Snake Gourd Curry using Coconut:
- Cut the Snake Gourd into half, discard the seeds and chop them into small squares, add little water to it & pressure cook for one whistle OR one can be cooked directly on stove after the seasoning.
- Wash and soak the Rice in little water for 10 minutes before starting the grinding process.
- In a mixer Jar, take grated Coconut, soaked Rice, Green Chilli and Jeera. Add little water to it and grind everything into smooth paste.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan, add Mustard Seeds, once it splutters, add Curry Leaves. Then add cooked Snake Gourd and mix it. Now add the ground paste from the step 3, to the pan and 1/4 cup of water to it. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add the Salt, Jaggery and let it cook for 5 more minutes. Mix well, switch off the flame. Transfer to a bowl. Serve with Rice or Chapati.
- You can cook Snake Gourd directly after seasoning if you feel it becomes mushy by pressure cooking. Snake Gourd should be little hard when it is cooked. I usually cook it in pressure cooker by adding little water, as it leaves more water after cooking. So be careful while cooking in the pressure cooker. It tastes good when cooked directly on stove.
- Jaggery is a must; else the curry will not yield good taste. The taste should be little spicy, salty and sweet.