Many people know how to prepare normal or vegetable Upma, here I am talking about a different version of Upma which is made up of Pudina or Mint leaves. Pudina is a recommended herb for stomach issues. Having a glass of Pudina Juice daily, reduces gastric and acidity problems.
Pudina Upma tastes really good. Here it is necessary to add Jaggery to obtain good taste. Do not use Sugar instead of Jaggery.
Pudina Upma/Uppittu Ingredients:
- Local Rawa/Sooji/Semolina – ¼ kg
- Tomatoes Chopped – 2
- Onion chopped – 2
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Jaggery – 1 Tbsp
- Cashew nuts or Ground nuts
- Haldi or Turmeric Powder – pinch
- Curry leaves
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Hing or Asafetida – pinch
- Red chillies – 1
- Bengal Gram Dal/Channa dal – ½ tsp
- Urad dal/White Lenthils – ½ tsp
Pudina Upma Paste Ingredients:
- Green Chillies – 6
- Cloves – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro – ¼ cup
- Pudina/Mint Leaves – ¼ to ½ cup
Time to Prepare: 30 mins
How to Make Pudina Upma:
- Grind all the above paste ingredients and prepare smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, Urad dal, Channa dal, cut Red chillies and Hing and fry for a minute or until golden brown.
- Add Groundnut or Cashews and fry for a min. Then add chopped Onions and fry until onion pieces look a bit transparent. Now add chopped Tomatoes, Turmeric, curry leaves and fry until the Tomatoes are done.
- Add Pudina Upma Paste from step 1 and fry for 2 min or fry until the water content is absorbed by the vegetables.
- Then add ½ ltr hot water. When all the mixture starts boiling, add Rawa, Jaggery, Salt and close the lid and cook it in low flame for 6-8 min.
- Once cooked, stir once and add Lemon Juice, Grated Coconut and Ghee and mix properly. Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Now Pudina Upma is ready to serve.