Pudina or the Mint leaves has a special aroma. So naturally the Pudina Pulao is very aromatic. You can make only Pudina Pulao without peas and beans. But I suggest you include them. The greenness from Pudina enhances the look of pulao. Usually Pudina pulao is made in small hotels and darshinis as a weekly menu. Now here I give you the steps for Pudina Pulao recipe following which you can also prepare at home either for lunch or for dinner. Use fresh mint leaves for good aroma. Lemon juice helps you in retaining the green colour of Pudina. Else the pulao turns black. Serve hot with raitha or curd.
Pudina Pulav Ingredients:
- Rice – 1 cup
- Beans – 15 pieces
- Green Peas – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds or Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Onions – 1 small sized
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
Masala Paste Ingredients:
- Pudina/Mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Green Chillies – 2
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Pepper – 5
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves or Lavang – 2
- Cinnamon or Dalchini – 1/2 inch
How to Prepare:
- Wash and soak the Peas in water for 8 hr and allow to cook in a pressure cooker. If you are in a hurry, use fresh frozen Peas.
- Wash and cut the beans. Cut onions length wise (like you would for say Onion Pokada).
- Wash Rice well with water and pour out the water completely – rice should stay as dry as possible.
- Take all Masala Paste ingredients listed above in a mixer jar. Pour a little water into it and grind well in the mixer grinder to obtain smooth paste. Keep the masala paste aside. Try not to add water to this Pudina Pulav paste.
- The steps below can all be accomplished inside a pressure cooker container(the outer container itself).
- Heat Oil and Ghee in the cooker container until the Ghee melts. Add Jeera. Once the Jeera seeds splutter, add chopped Onions and fry until the Onions turn golden brown.
- Add Mint Pulav Masala Paste from Step 4 to the cooker container and fry for 2 min until the smell goes. Then add cut Beans and soaked Peas from Step 1 to the cooker container and fry for a min.
- Now add washed Rice from Step 3 to the pressure cooker and fry for 2 min. Add 2 cups of water to the cooker. Add Salt and close the pressure cooker lid and allow the contents to cook.
- When you hear the 3 cooker whistles, switch to low flame and continue to heat for about 2 minutes. Then switch off the flame and allow the pressure of the cooker to ease.
- Open the cooker lid, leave it open for 2 min and then add Lemon Juice to the Pulav. Mix well.
Pudina Pulav/Pudina Rice is now ready to serve with Raita.