Green Peas is loaded with lot of vitamins and proteins. Peas are high in fibre and low in fat. It contains zero cholesterol. One can consume green peas directly as it is sweet in taste. Potatoes contain vitamins, minerals and are best known for carbohydrate content. Hence both Potatoes and Peas are good for growing children.
Most of us have eaten simple Potato Paratha which is very famous in Northern part of India. The Green Peas and Potato Partha which I present here the recipe is something different in taste as compared to the normal Potato Paratha. This Paratha is a stuffed version, where we use Peas and Potatoes as the main ingredients. I have used frozen peas and boiled potatoes. If you are using dried Peas, just soak the peas in the water overnight and cook in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles or until Peas turns soft. Then mash the cooked Peas and Potatoes. Just by adding a few more ingredients like Masala Powders and other spices to the Peas Potato mixture, the subzi for the Paratha stuffing can be prepared. Even children who avoid veggies love to have these type of Parathas. Serve Green Peas and Potato Paratha with any tickling sides such as chutney, pickle, sauce or with chutney powder and curd.
Green Peas Potato Paratha Dough Ingredients:
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Besan or Bengal gram flour – 1 tsp (optional)
- Rice flour – 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil – 1 tsp
In a vessel, have all the flours, Oil and Salt and mix with the help of hand once, then add sufficient water to the flour and prepare dough like the regular Chapati dough. Keep aside for half an hour.
Paratha Masala Powder Ingredients:
- Pav Bhaji Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Dry Mango powder / Amchur Powder – 1 tsp
- Jeera or Cumin seeds powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya or Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Rock Salt – 1/2 tsp
Mix all the above powdered ingredients as per the proportion mentioned above and store it in a air tight box. Use as and when required.
Aloo Mutter Paratha Filling Ingredients:
- Potatoes or Aloo – 2
- Green Peas or Mutter – 3/4 cup
- Finely chopped Green Chilly – 1
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 2 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Paratha Masala Powder – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Ghee / Clarified Butter
Green Peas Potato Paratha/Parota Method :
- Cook the potatoes with water in a pressure cooker until you hear 3-4 whistles. While hot, peel the outer covering and grate the hot potatoes with grater, so as to avoid the lumps in the mashed potatoes.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Green chillies, Ginger paste and fry for a min. Now add crushed Green Peas and fry for 10 min. Stir continuously to avoid Peas sticking to the bottom of the vessel. Add Red Chilli Powder, Paratha Masala Powder, Salt and mashed Potatoes (from Step 1) and mix well once and then remove from the flame. Finally add the Lemon Juice and mix well with hand and allow it to cool for about 5 min. Paratha filling is now ready.
- Take a small ball of Paratha dough from Step 1 above, Roll it into small roti. Place 2 Tbsp of Paratha filling or stuffing in the centre. Raise the sides to cover the filling. Roll out into a medium thick Paratha by dusting occasionally in the wheat flour.
- Place the rolled out Paratha on a hot tawa and cook on both the sides with Ghee till the Paratha becomes a bit crisp.
Serve Aloo Mutter Paratha Paratha hot with Coconut Chutney or Chutney powder(optional).
Green Peas Potato Paratha/Parota (Aloo Mutter Paratha) tastes great with Curd and Chutney powder combination as well.
Roll out into a medium thick paratha by dusting occasionally in the wheat flour. Cook it on a hot tawa on both the sides with Ghee till crisp.
Serve hot Green Peas Potato Paratha/Parota (Aloo Mutter Paratha) with chutney, chutney powder or one can have it with curd plus chutney powder.