As children, we used to be eager on the onset of summer. For us summer meant only two things: Holidays and Mangoes. As many types of mangoes, so many types of dishes my mother used to make. You can see a lot of mango recipes in my web site like Mango Juice, Mango Milkshake, Mango shekarne and so on. Maavinakai Chitranna or Mango rice is yet another recipe passed on from one generation to another. You need one green raw mango for this recipe. In South India we call it THOTHAPURI or GINI MOOTHI Maavinakai since it looks like a parrot beak. This mango when we mix with asefoetedia and salt while seasoning blends well to give an excellent tangy taste. When you grate the mango, you get little bit of juice also. Put that also to the rice as the rice absorbs the sour juice. My mouth is watering and I just can’t wait to eat this. Go ahead and make this wonderful Mango rice.
Mango Rice Ingredients:
- Rice – 1 cup
- Grated Raw Mango – 1/4 cup
- Green Chillies – 2
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal / White Lenthils – 1/2 tsp
- Groundnuts / Peanut- 10-15
- Curry leaves – 8-10
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafotida or Hing – 1 pinch
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro
- Coconut grated – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
How to Make Mango Rice:
- Cook the 1 cup of Rice with 2-1/4 cup of water in a pressure cooker.
- Chop Green Chillies and keep them aside.
- Remove cooked Rice from the pressure cooker; spread the Rice on a dinner plate and leave the Rice to become cool.
- Rest of the preparation can be completed in a large or medium sized frying pan.
- In the frying pan, heat Oil. Add Mustard seeds; once the seeds splutter, add Urad dal. Once the dal ingredients turn golden brown, add Groundnuts and fry for about a minute until the nuts change color.
- Drop Curry leaves into the pan and fry for a minute more. Add chopped Green Chillies and fry them for a minute.
- Now add grated Raw Mango, Turmeric powder, Hing and fry until the grated Mango is cooked. At this stage add Salt and Sugar and mix well.
- Now add cooked Rice and and mix well. Add grated Coconut and mix well.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Mango Rice is now ready to serve.