The well known Majjige Huli or Moru Kuzhambu is a family favorite. When you desire a change from the regular spicy Rasam/Sambar, Buttermilk Sambar is your choice. Has many varieties based on vegetable(s) used and I will try to provide a recipe which is a little common to these various types of Majjige Huli or Moru Kuzhambu. This Majjige Huli or Mor Kuzhambu is purely a Mangalorian dish. As they use soaked rice to the recipe, whereas in other parts of Karnataka they use soaked Channa Dal while grinding with Coconut.
Here I tried this Majjige Huli or Mor kuzhambu using White Pumpkin. You can use Cucumber or with Beans or Bhindi. Recipe is simple, soak rice for 1 hour, Cook only the White Pumpkin or Ash Gourd in cooker or on stove top. Grind the other ingredients listed below with sufficient water and make paste. Add Salt and Coriander Leaves, Curry Leaves and Paste and cook. Finally add Curd or Buttermilk and mix once and switch off the flame. Add the Seasoning at the end. Serve this Majjige Huli or Moru kuzhambu or Buttermilk Sambar with plain rice.
Majjige Huli/Buttermilk Sambar Ingredients :
- Vegetables one can use – Cucumber, White Pumpkin or Ash Gourd, Beans or Okra or Bhindi (Any one of these vegetables)
- Curd /Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Rice – 1 tsp
- Coconut Grated – 3/4 cup
- Green Chillies – 3
- Jeera or Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Seasoning Ingredients :
- Ghee / Clarified Butter or Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chillies or Majjige Menasu or Sundried Curd Chillies – 1
- Asafoetida / Hing – 2 pinches
Soaking of Rice : 1 hour
Time to Prepare : 15 minutes
How to Make Majjige Huli or Moru kuzhambu or Buttermilk Sambar:
1. Soak 1 tsp Rice in a 1/2 cup of water for an hour.
2. Cut the Vegetables (White Pumpkin, Cucumber, Beans) with each piece about half inch in size and cook in a pressure cooker until you hear 3 whistles.
If you are using Ladies Finger, do not cook in the pressure cooker. Instead, cut each one into half inch size and fry it in a 1 tsp of oil.
3. Grind grated Coconut, Green Chillies, Jeera/Cumin Seeds and soaked Rice from Step 1 in a mixer grinder and prepare a smooth paste.
4. Take a vessel, add cooked Vegetables from Step 2, Salt and ground paste from Step 3, Coriander Leaves, Curry Leaves and cook for nearly 8-10 min in low flame.
5. Then add Curd/Buttermilk and again cook for 2 more min. After adding Curd or Buttermilk do not cook the Majjige Huli for more than 3-4 minutes.
1. In a frying pan, add Ghee or Coconut Oil (I use Coconut Oil), once it melts add Mustard seeds.
2. Then add Asefotida or Hing. Later add broken Red Chillies or Majjige Menasu or Sundried Curd Chillies and fry for a minute or till it changes to golden in color.
3. Pour the Seasoning mixture into Majjige Huli or Buttermilk Sambar. Mix well. Buttermilk Sambar/Moru Kuzhambu is now ready to serve. Serve with plain rice.