Be it any house, from poor to rich, festival lunch in South India has one common side rice dish that is lemon rice. This is loved by one and all. The Lemon rice is fast and easy to make dish. I have observed one thing in this lemon rice. It tastes different when I have on steel plate and on plantain leaves. The satisfaction I get while eating on plantain leaves cannot be explained. My mother used to say that the medicinal value in those leaves blends with the food we eat giving more immunity power. How I wish to go back to good olden days. Anyways, you prepare this lovely lemon rice and enjoy its taste. If you get the opportunity, observe the plantain leaf theory.
Lemon/Nimbu Rice or Chitranna Ingredients:
- Rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 small sized
- Green Chillies – 2
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/White Lenthils – 1/2 tsp
- Groundnuts or Peanuts- 10-15
- Curry leaves – 8-10
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro
- Coconut grated – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice or Nimbu Juice – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
Time to Prepare: 15 mins
How to Make Lemon/Nimbu Rice or Chitranna :
- Cook the 1 cup of Rice with 2-1/4 cup of water in a pressure cooker.
- Chop the Onions and Green Chillies and keep them aside.
- Remove cooked Rice from the pressure cooker; spread the Rice on a dinner plate and leave the Rice to become cool.
- In the frying pan, heat Oil. Add Mustard seeds; once the seeds splutter, add Urad dal. Once the dal ingredients turn golden brown, add Groundnuts and fry for about a minute until the nuts change color.
- Drop Curry leaves into the pan and fry for a minute more. Add chopped Green Chillies and fry them for a minute.
- Now add chopped Onions, Turmeric powder and fry until the onions turn light golden brown. Once the Onions are done, add Salt and Sugar and mix well.
- Now add cooked Rice and and mix well. Then add Lemon/Nimbu Juice, grated Coconut and mix well.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Lemon Rice or Chitranna is now ready to serve.