Kalakand is a Bengali Sweet dish with great taste, totally made out of Milk. The recipe involves very few ingredients. Though it is quite easy to prepare, the time taken to prepare is high. It may take almost one and half hours to prepare this recipe.
- Thick milk – 1 ltr
- Milk powder – 200 gms
- Fine Sugar – 200 gms
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Spatika powder or Alum or Pitakari – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee / Clarifed Butter – 1/2 tsp
- Grated Badam – 1-2 tsp
- Silver foil – (optional)
How to Prepare:
1) Mix all the above ingredients properly with the help of whisk or with a mixer grinder, ensuring that no lumps are formed.
2) Grease the plate with Ghee / Clarified Butter and keep aside.
3) Transfer the mixture from Step 1 to a cooking vessel. Cook the ingredients while stirring continuously. The milk will break slowly and start boiling. Slowly the mixture turns thick. Cook the mixture until the content starts separating/leaving the vessel.
4) Remove from the flame. Pour the mixture to the Ghee greased plate. Garnish with Silver foil and grated Badam.
With a knife, cut the Kalakand preparation on the plate to your favorite sized pieces. Keep aside to cool.
Once cooled, remove the pieces from the plate. Keep always in the refrigerator.