Any time we go out for dinner, my daughter usually opts for Garlic Bread Sticks in the restaurants. When I make variety of snacks for her, she enjoys immensely each and every item. So like all children of her age, she demands the snacks which are available over the counter. Yesterday, she asked me to prepare this Garlic Bread Sticks at home. She insisted that I do it and not purchase from outside as she was taught that homemade food are more hygienic.
I had little idea about the ingredients, but not the exact quantity of them. So when I did google search, I found this recipe of Garlic Bread Sticks in Sharmi’s Passion. My sincere thanks to Sharmi. When I perused her recipe, I realized that this is time consuming. But as always hard work pays good fruit. Do not get scared after you see the recipe. The satisfaction you get after you see happiness in family members is very precious indeed. When we buy this from outside, either it will be very hard or tasteless. Once in ten times we get to buy the perfect ones. Anyone can do this Garlic Bread at home. This recipe yields a very tasty and crunchy Garlic Bread Sticks. So follow these steps and enjoy the homemade Garlic Bread Sticks.
Garlic Bread Sticks Ingredients:
- Maida – 1 Cup
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Instant Dry Yeast – 3/4 tsp
- Olive Oil – 2 tsp
- Luke Warm Water – 1/2 Cup Minus 1 Tbsp
- Mozzarella Cheese – 2 Tbsp grated
- Salt – to taste
Garlic Spread Ingredients:
- Butter -1 Tbsp
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp for sprinkle
- Garlic cloves – 3 Big Sized
- Salt – to taste
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Resting Time: 1 hour
Baking Time: 25-30 minutes
How to Make Garlic Bread Sticks:
- In a large bowl, add Maida, Instant dry yeast, Sugar and Salt. Mix well by hand once before you add water to it. Once mixing is done, add Luke warm water slowly and kneed well to prepare smooth sticky dough. I prepared using active dry yeast as I did not get Instant yeast. Refer “Bread Prepared with Active Yeast” at the end. Image shown here is as per active dry yeast.
- Now add Olive Oil to it and mix once and keep aside minimum for an hour to raise the dough double in size.
- Once the dough becomes double in size, punch it down and keep aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the Garlic Spread; Mince the garlic or grind it in a mixer grinder to coarse paste. Transfer Garlic paste to a bowl. Add melted Butter, Salt and Oregano to it. Mix well using spoon. Keep aside.
- Take a pan in which you are going to bake the bread. Sprinkle little flour and roll the Bread dough into 1/4 inch thickness.
- Now spread the Garlic-Butter spread on the bread dough and sprinkle Mozzarella Cheese and Oregano.
- Preheat the Oven to 200 degree C for 10 minutes and bake it at least for 25-30 minutes or until the top portion of the sticks look golden in color and crusty. Do not over bake the bread as it becomes soggy. Once done the bread should move easily from the pan. Cool down and cut into sticks.
- Serve hot or warm with Sauces of your choice.
Bread Prepared with Active Yeast:
- I prepared this Garlic bread sticks with active yeast. Even it turned out good. Active yeast procedure is little different than instant yeast method. The instant yeast will not be available in normal department stores. We need to buy it from particular baking shops. First we need to Warm water. In a bowl add, Active Yeast, Sugar and Salt. Pour warm water to it. Mix well using spoon till the Sugar and yeast dissolves completely. Rest it for 10 minutes, it starts to bubble and become frothy. Then add this to the Maida and continue the procedure as said above.
- After an hour punch the dough and spread it on a baking pan. I did the second proofing. I kept the pan near the preheated oven for 15 minutes to raise it and then baked it in the preheated oven.
- The kneaded dough should be sticky before it raises, else the bread becomes hard inside. While rolling you can sprinkle the dry flour and spread it on the pan. I spread the dough using.
- You can also add Chilli flakes to the bread to get the spicy version.