Earlier vangibath powder was hand grounded using vanake (long wooden club) at home and used to be mixed with only Brinjal. Now, with the import of capsicum from north to south and few locally grown varieties available; we make capsicum ricebath using vangibath powder. Capsicum like brinjal quickly absorbs salt and spices while frying. Though the procedure is almost similar, the Capsicum ricebath tastes entirely different. For some people who dislike brinjal, this Capsicum ricebath is a boon in disguise. Anyone will like the fantastic Capsicum ricebath. Remember to cool the cooked rice before mixing with the fried Capsicum masala. Ricebath should not be paste like. Adding grated coconut is optional since some people do not like to eat coconut for various reasons. Onion Tomato raitha is a very good combination with this. Even this Capsicum ricebath can be served without any sides.
- Chopped Capsicum / Bell Pepper – 1 Big sized
- Rice – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Tamarind Paste – 1 and 1/2 Tbsp
- Vangi Bath powder – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3-4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal or White Lenthils or Uddina Bele – 1/4 tsp
- Bengal Gram or Chana Dal or Kadale Bele – 1/4 tsp
- Groundnut or Peanuts – 10-15
- Curry Leaves – 7-8
- Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro
Time to Prepare : 30 mins
How to Make Capsicum Rice Bath:
- Cook the Rice in pressure cooker. Once rice is cooked, pour and spread the rice across on a plate and leave it to cool. The whole preparation can then be completed on a large or medium sized frying pan.
- In the frying pan, heat 3-4 tsp of oil. Add Mustard seeds; once seeds splutter, add Urad dal and Bengal Gram dal. Once the dal ingredients turn golden brown, add Groundnuts and fry for about a minute until the nuts change color. Drop Curry leaves into the pan and fry for a minute more.
- Add chopped Capsicum and allow the vegetable to cook for 5 min with oil in the pan. Do not add water to the frying pan to help cook Capsicum; the vegetable must cook in oil.
- When the Capsicum pieces are cooked, add Tamarind paste, Jaggery and Salt and mix well and boil them for a minute.
- Then add Vangi Bath powder to the Capsicum mixture and stir well for a minute.
- Now add the cooked rice in increments, bit by bit, as you keep mixing the contents of the pan with a ladle and hence allowing the rice to mix well with the fried ingredients above.
- Finally add grated Coconut and mix well again with the ladle. Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Capsicum rice is now ready to serve.