Day to day requirement of a different morning dish makes the lady of the house go on a wild goose chase for a recipe. For the woman also working outside makes her cooking job tedious. For her need of quick recipes is vital. But it should also nourish the family. So here is one recipe which is not only less time consuming but also filling with the necessary proteins and vitamins. Vegetable Upma as the name goes contains lots of vegetables in it. The only time to be spent on is in dicing the vegetables which can well be done before hand.
This vegetable Upma can be prepared either using medium sooji rava, big rava, bansi rava or Akki tari(Broken Rice). I have explained here the usage of Sooji rava since it takes less time to boil. Also its source is wheat. Just make this lovely vegetable upma and see it looks so attractive with colourful vegetables in it.
Vegetable Upma Ingredients :
- Rava or Sooji or Semolina – 1 cup (Use the big granule sized Sooji/Rava)
- Beans – 10-15
- Carrot – 1
- Onion – 1 small sized
- Tomato – 1 small sized (optional)
- Green Chillies – 2
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (optional)
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal / White Lenthils – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 7-8
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 Tbsp
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Time to Prepare: 30 mins
How to Make Vegetable Upma :
- Heat Ghee in a pan. Add Sooji and fry for nearly about 3 min until the Sooji starts giving you pleasant aroma. Remove from the pan and keep it aside in a plate.
- Cut into small pieces Carrot and Beans. If desired you can add more vegetables like Capsicum, Cabbage etc. to the Vegetable Upma.
- Chop into right sizes Onions, Tomato, Green Chillies and Ginger.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds; once the seeds splutter, add Urad dal and fry for a minute. Add Curry leaves, Green Chillies and Ginger and fry for 2 more min.
- At this stage, add Onions, Turmeric powder and fry until the Onions turn golden brown.
- Now add cut Beans, Carrots and fry till vegetables turns a bit soft. Then add Tomatoes and cook for 2 min.
- Then add Salt and Sugar and mix well. Now add water to the pan with this approximate measurement – for 1 cup of Sooji/Rava, add 2-1/2 cup of water. Leave it to boil. Once the water starts boiling, add Sooji/Rava. Mix well and leave it to cook.
- Once the above ingredients are cooked, add grated Coconut, Lemon Juice and mix well. Stir well and leave the mixture to become thick just as would do with regular Upma. Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Have this as breakfast dish or you can have it in the evening as well.