Vegetables are daily requirements of human body. So is the right of taste buds to relish different tastes. In order to please oneself you need to keep exploring new ideas and experimenting on regular recipes. Same thing I have done here. Pulao is a filling dish whether for lunch or dinner. Since I have already posted Pulao recipe, you might be wondering why this repetition. As always same thing is boring; I have done this different method to get a special taste. MTR Pulao powder is easily available in the market. I have just used this powder along with some colourful vegetables and good quality rice. Try out this recipe and you will love it.
I had posted two Vegetable Pulav/Pulao recipes earlier – the regular Vegetable Pulav/Pulao one and the other which was Coconut based. I tried a variation of this Pulav/Pulao recipe using MTR Pulav/Pulao powder available in the retail store. It came out quite well.
Vegetable Pulav/Pulao using MTR powder
- MTR Pulav/Pulao Powder – 2 tsp
- Rice – 1 cup
- Beans – 15 pieces
- Carrot – 2
- Potato – 1 big sized
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower – 10 florets (optional)
- Chopped Green Chillies – 2
- Onions – 1 medium sized chopped
- Ginger + Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Cashew Nuts – 10-12
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera or Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 5-8
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Ghee or Clarified Butter – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Water – 2 cup
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
Time to Make:30 min
How to Prepare:
- Wash the Vegetables thoroughly. If you purchase dry peas, keep them soaked for at least 12 hours before use.
- Cut the Vegetables and keep aside.
- Wash Rice well with water and drain out the water completely since rice should stay as dry as possible.
- Take the pressure cooker container (the outer container itself and not the inside vessel). Heat Oil and Ghee in the cooker container until the Ghee melts. Add Mustard Seeds, Jeera and fry for a min until Mustard Seeds splutter.
- Now add Curry Leaves, chopped Green Chillies, chopped Onions (cut length-wise) and Ginger + Garlic paste fry until the Onions appear transparent. At this stage, add Cashew Nuts and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Then add cut Vegetables and soaked Peas from Step 1 to the cooker container. Mix the contents well. Add Sugar now; Sugar helps to retain the color of the Vegetables.
- Add washed Rice from Step 2 and fry Rice well for about 2 min.
- At this stage, add MTR Pulav/Pulao Powder, Salt and stir once. Finally add 2 cups of water, close the cooker lid and allow the contents to cook.
- For best results, when you hear the 3 whistle of the cooker, switch off the flame and allow the cooker pressure to ease.
- Once you open the cooker lid, you can add Lemon Juice and Cilantro/Coriander leaves and mix it well with Pulav/Pulao.
MTR powder based Vegetable Pulav/Pulao is now ready to be served.
Vegetable Pulao/Pulav can be had with Raita (see recipe below).
- Curd – 1 cup
- Cucumber – 1
- Onion – 1 big sized
- Tomato – 1 big sized
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
Finely chop the Cucumber, Tomato and Onion. Add these finely chopped vegetables to Curd along with Salt, Cilantro/Coriander leaves and mix well.
Now Raita is ready to be serve with Vegetable Pulav/Pulao.