The television advertisements of noodles are so tempting and misleading children in health issues. They look attractive but the preservatives and artificial Mono Sodium Glutamate present in the masala packets are not so nutritious. With lot of unfavourable news about these products I am very scared to give that to my child. So I prepare noodles at home. I usually prepare this Veg Noodles in two methods. This is the simple version especially for kids. Here I have not used any spices.
Earlier I used to be little worried about the end result of the noodles cook. Now with lot of practice, it has become very easy job. My daughter Dhanya loves this Veg Noodles a lot. Since I put a lot of vegetables in it, this dish become very nutritive there by promoting good health. I do not use Ajinomoto or tasting Salt in any of the Chinese recipes and also avoid the synthetic food colours. It may attract people, but it is not very good for health. People say that mild usage does not cause harm. So it is optional to one’s choice.
Preparing Veg Noodles is very easy. Tricky part is only cooking the Noodles, once you are thorough with cooking the Noodles, it is very easy to prepare. The cutting of vegetables takes some time as you need to make julienne strips, which makes the Noodles look attractive. Always to fry the vegetables over medium flame and do not add water to the vegetables. Cook in oil till they become crunchy. This gives more taste to the Noodles, so it takes more Oil, without Oil Noodles turns dry. Use a Non-stick pan to prepare the Veg Noodles, as the cooked Noodles may stick to the bottom of an ordinary pan.
Veg Noodles Ingredients:
- Noodles – 250 grams (Hakka Noodles)
- Onion – 1 Big Sized
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Carrot – 1 Small Sized
- Capsicum – 1/2
- French Beans – 10
- Cabbage – 1/2 small sized
- Soy Sauce – 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Ajinomoto or tasting Salt – 1 pinch (Optional)
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
Time to Prepare: 15 minutes
Serves – 3
How to Make Veg Noodles:
1. Cut the Onion, Carrot, Capsicum, Cabbage and Beans lengthwise into julienne strips as in the image.
2. Boil 3 litres of water in a big vessel. Once it starts boiling add 1/4 tsp of Salt and 1 tsp of Oil to it. Now slowly add the Noodles and let it cook for 8 to10 minutes depending on the Noodles you use. It may take less time too. Just check it by pressing with your fingers. If it is soft, switch off the flame. Then immediately strain the water in a strainer and pour normal cold water on it. It will cool immediately. Slowly separate the noodles that are sticking to each other.
3. Heat Oil in a non-stick pan, add Onions and fry for a minute. Now add Ginger Garlic Paste and mix well. Sauté till the Onions become translucent. Then add Carrot and Beans, sauté in Oil till it is slightly cooked.
4. Now at this stage, add Cabbage and Capsicum. Sauté till they are slight soft yet crunchy. For the Noodles the Vegetables should be little crunchy, then only it gives more taste to the Noodles.
5. If you are using Ajinomoto or tasting salt, add it now. In a bowl, mix Vinegar and Soy Sauce. Add this to the cooked vegetables and mix well once. Now add 1/2 tsp of Salt to the vegetables and again mix well.
6. Finally add the cooked Noodles and mix thoroughly with the vegetables. Adjust the Salt. Make sure that the Noodles will not break too much. Remove from stove. Since spices are not used you can serve this Veg Noodles with any Hot and Sweet Sauce of your preference.