Vada Pav is an easy to prepare fast food snack. Vada Pav is quite popular in the northern parts of India. Vada Pav can be had as an evening snack. It consists of Potato Vada (dumplings) sandwiched between two slices of Pav. You can serve Vada Pav with Chutney and/or by applying Chutney in between the Pav as explained.
If you have some Pavs left over, try the popular Pav Bhaji recipe.
- Pav – 7-8
- Potatoes – 3 big sized
- Finely chopped Green Chillies – 2
- Chilli Powder – 1-1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Hing Drops or Asefotida – 3 drops
- Besan or Bengal Gram Flour – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- Oil to deep fry
- Pudina Chutney (Optional)
- Sweet Tamarind Chutney (Optional)
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6-7
- Oil – 1 tsp
How to Prepare:
1) Wash the Potatoes and pressure cook the Potatoes for 3-4 whistles. When the pressure eases, remove Potatoes from the cooker, peel the skin of the Potatoes. Mash or grate them (to get rid of lumps we can grate it). Keep aside.
2) Tempering Method: Heat Oil in a frying pan, add Mustard Seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add Curry Leaves. Fry them well. Keep aside.
3) Transfer the mashed or grated Potatoes (from Step 1) to a bowl. Add finely chopped Green Chillies, chopped Coriander Leaves, Garam Masala, Hing drops and Salt. Mix them well. Add Lemon Juice and Tampered mixture from Step 2 to this mixture and prepare dough.
Divide the dough into 7-8 balls and press it and prepare like patties by pressing in the middle of the balls with the help of palm.
4) Add Besan to a bowl. Add Chilli powder and little Hing and Water and prepare thick batter like Dosa batter.
Dip each patties from Step 3 into this batter and deep fry all the patties.
Now hot Vada is ready.
5) Cut the Pav in the middle. If you have Pudina Chutney and Sweet Tamarind Chutney at home, apply 1/2 tsp of Pudina chutney to one side and 1/2 tsp of Sweet Tamarind chutney to the other side of the Pav. Keep the hot Vada in the middle of the Pav. Vada Pav is now ready.
Serve hot Vada-Pav with Chutney of your liking.