I have been looking for the recipe of a great tasting yet easy to make Tomato Soup for a long time now. I asked many about how to prepare a perfect Tomato Soup but did not get a satisfactory answer. A lot of people told me to add Carrot to the Tomato Soup but I found that instead of enhancing taste, Carrot actually ruins the taste and aroma of the Tomato in the Soup. Then my cousin Viji suggested at I add Potato instead of Carrot to obtain a delicious Tomato Soup. And when I prepared the same as per her instructions, the Soup came out really well. I have prepared this Soup 4-5 times so far and every time I had everyone at home liking it quite a bit. Best of all, my 20 month little one simply loves it and relishes every drop of the Soup in the Soup bowl. She dips the spoon into the Soup bowl and licks away every little drop of the Soup left in the bowl.
The recipe for the Tomato Soup is actually quite simple. The total preparation could take just 30 min including the cooking time. All we need to do is to cook the listed ingredients, grind them into smooth paste and boil by adding water, Salt and Pepper Powder. Serve this Tomato Soup preparation with Cream or Croutons (Fried Bread Pieces).
Soups are known for their health benefits. Often children resist having vegetables directly and Soups are one easy way to ensure that we provide them with nutrients provided by Vegetables. We can prepare varieties of Soups like Palak Soup, Oats Soup, Minestrone Soup, Broccoli Soup, many other simple Vegetable Soups. Good thing is that we can often consume Soups to our benefit even when we are suffering from health issues like fever.
We see many varieties of ready to make Soup sachets sold in the department stores. All you need to do is to add water to Soup powder, boil the mixture and within ten minutes Soup is ready. While it is good to have this option, I believe it is always better to prepare homemade Soups like the one I describe below.
- Tomatoes (medium sized) – 6
- Potato (medium sized) – 1
- Onion (big sized) – 1
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 1-2 cloves
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (depending on your taste preferences)
Ingredients for Bread Croutons or Crisp Bread Pieces:
- Bread (any variety) – 3 Pieces
- Ghee or Oil – 2-3 Tbsp
Preparation Time : 30 min
How to Make Tomato Soup :
- Wash and cut the Tomatoes. Peel the outer covering of Potato and Onions. Cut all of these vegetables into medium sized pieces. Clean the Ginger and Garlic with water, peel the outer covering and cut them into pieces. Keep aside.
- Transfer all the above cut ingredients to a cooker vessel or directly to the cooker container and add enough water or until all the cut vegetables immerse fully in water.
- Cook these ingredients in a pressure cooker until you hear 4-5 whistles. Ensure that Potatoes are cooked well. Once the pressure eases, remove the cooked vegetables from the pressure cooker and keep them aside to cool or until they reach normal room temperature. Preserve the water used for cooking in the cooker vessel for further use in the next two steps.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to the mixer jar and add enough water (used for cooking – from Step 3 above) from the cooker vessel. Grind them to a smooth paste. Filter the paste using a strainer to remove the outer covering of the Tomato, Ginger and Garlic.
- Pour the paste and remaining water from cooker to a vessel and add Sugar, Salt and Pepper and cook it on stove top for 8-10 minutes. Adjust the Salt, Pepper and sweetness of the Tomato Soup if required after you switch off the flame.
Now the Tomato Soup is ready. Serve it with Croutons or Crisp Bread Pieces.
How to Make Bread Croutons or Crispy Bread Pieces:
- Take a Bread pieces out of Bread loaf and cut it into small square pieces with the help of knife. Keep aside.
- Heat Oil or Ghee (I used Ghee) in a small frying pan, add 4-5 pieces at a time and fry until Bread pieces turn golden brown in color. Place them on a paper towel to remove the excess Oil from the Bread Croutons.
- Place these Croutons or Crisp Bread Pieces on the top of the Tomato Soup while serving.