When I go out for dining, I always love to eat Tandoori Roti with simple Dal Fry or with some Paneer sabjies. Tandoori Roti has little portion of Wheat Flour as compared to other Indian breads like Kulcha or Naan. Usually Maida is mixed along with it. We can prepare Tandoori Roti by using only Wheat Flour also. I have tried both the ways. Both taste good. Here in this recipe I have used Wheat Flour and Maida. It is optional to use maida. If you want healthier version then use only Wheat Flour. Many people use Curd or Yogurt with Baking Soda to prepare Tandoori Roti, but I have used Fresh Yeast here.
Normally people prepare Tandoori Roti in Tandoor. Tandoor is a cylindrical clay or metal oven used for preparing Roti, Naan, Kulcha etc. Some people prepare Roti in Oven also. In this recipe I have explained with images how to prepare the Tandoori Roti in normal Tawa. Tawa must be made of Iron with a handle to hold. We cannot prepare Tandoori Roti in Non-stick tawa or pan. So follow the instructions and enjoy making Tandoori Roti at home.
Tandoori Roti Ingredients:
- Wheat Flour – 1 Cup
- Maida or All Purpose Flour – 1 Cup
- Fresh Yeast – 1 Tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Warm Water – 1/2 Cup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Standing Time: 2 hours
How to Make Tandoori Roti on Tawa:
- In a bowl, put Fresh Yeast, Sugar, Salt, warm Water and mix till sugar and yeast dissolve in water. Rest it for 10 minutes to make it frothy.
- In another big bowl, add Wheat Flour and Maida or All Purpose Flour. Mix it once. Now add the Yeast mixture from step 1 to the Maida-Wheat Flour mixture and blend it well.
- Use enough water to knead it like Chapati dough. Add Oil at this stage and again kneed the dough. Once this is done cover the bowl with a lid and keep it for 2 hours. After 2 hours the Roti dough would have raised almost to double its volume.
- Knead the dough once more before you start making Roties. Make equal size balls out of the Roti dough and roll it like chapati with the help of roller board and rolling pin.
- Heat the iron skillet or tawa which we use for preparing chapati. Always use Iron skillet with handle to prepare Tandoori Roti. One cannot roast evenly the roti on a non-stick pan, so never try it.
- Spread little water on one side of the Roti, remove slowly from the roller board and put it on the heated tawa. Always remember that the water applied side should be put on the tawa. Now the Roti slowly starts to bubble up.
- Next, invert the tawa holding the handle and slowly cook the other side of the Roti on the high flames as shown in the image. Tandoori Roti will always stick to the tawa, so once done try to remove it slowly with the help of a flat spatula.
- Repeat the steps from 4 to 7 for making some more Tandoori Roties.
- Serve the Tandoori Roti with any variety of curries like Paneer Matar Sabji, Methi Matar Malai, Dal Fry, Palak Paneer etc.,
For a Healthier version of Tandoori Roti; you can completely avoid Maida or All Purpose Flour by replacing it with Wheat Flour.