This one is a variation of Sweet Dosa Recipe posted by me earlier. You can choose to prepare Dosa or Paddu/Paniyaram depending on your taste and preference. Since I am posting the Spicy version of Paddu/Paniyaram, a separate post will help better highlight the Paddu variations.
Paddu is known by various names like Guliappa, Paniyaram, Appe, Gundponglu, Gulittu, Gunta Pangana, Gunta Pongadalu etc. in South India.
Sweet Paddu or Paniyaram Ingredients:
- Dosa Rice – 2 cups
- Fenugreek or Methi seeds – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup (depending on your taste)
- Thick Flattened Poha (Avalakki/Aval) – 1 cup
- Curd – 1/2 cup
How to Prepare:
- Wash Dosa Rice and Methi seeds in water and soak them in water for 5-6 hr.Wash Poha/Aval and soak it in curd for 20 min.
- Grind soaked Rice and Methi seeds in wet grinder or in a mixer grinder to prepare Paddu/Paniyaram batter. Once the batter turns a little smooth, add soaked Poha/Avalakki and grind for 10 more min. Pour out the Paddu batter from the grinder. Grind ¾ cup of Jaggery with 1/4 cup of water in a wet grinder (preferably) for 10 min until you obtain smooth Jaggery paste. Add this paste to the batter poured out earlier.Keep this for 24 hr to help ferment the batter.
- Next day morning, prepare Paddu/Paniyaram by pouring the batter into the Paddu molds after greasing the molds with oil. Use low flame for best results.Paddu prepared may stick to the molds. So have patience while taking out the Paddu from the tawa.
Serve the Sweet Paddu or Paniyaram with Ghee.